Midlands Crew - Cotteridge Wines Suggestion

Reads 31849 • Replies 504 • Started Saturday, November 22, 2014 3:18:04 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

imdownthepub
beers 26076 º places 2110 º 03:47 Sun 1/18/2015

As many of you know, I tend not to join in with the sampling frenzy, I just plod on doing my thing and with 14 taps on at Cotteridge I will be well extended, unless there may be a country rate available. But in the spirit of the day I have commenced sourcing a few beers to bring along, to throw into the Cock Pit.
Now calm yourselves, I don’t want to be mobbed before I get them out of my bag, but the first 2 I have are :-
Silverstone Pitstop a 3.8% English Boys Bitter.
Silverstone Skidmark a 4.2% English Session Bitter and brand new to Ratebeer to boot!

I know, I know I have searched far and wide for these, but feel free to give them a go. You never know they may be a new Brewery for some or even a County they need (Northamptonshire). I have added them to the spreadsheet.

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 04:03 Sun 1/18/2015

Originally posted by imdownthepub
As many of you know, I tend not to join in with the sampling frenzy, I just plod on doing my thing and with 14 taps on at Cotteridge I will be well extended, unless there may be a country rate available. But in the spirit of the day I have commenced sourcing a few beers to bring along, to throw into the Cock Pit.
Now calm yourselves, I don’t want to be mobbed before I get them out of my bag, but the first 2 I have are :-
Silverstone Skidmark a 4.2% English Session Bitter and brand new to Ratebeer to boot!

I know, I know I have searched far and wide for these, but feel free to give them a go. You never know they may be a new Brewery for some or even a County they need (Northamptonshire). I have added them to the spreadsheet.

9 new country ticks for you. That will take you to 82.

Silverstone is a new brewery for me, so I will be mugging you for sample of your fine wares.

I take it the Silverstone Skidmark is a brown beer.

imdownthepub
beers 26076 º places 2110 º 04:24 Sun 1/18/2015

Originally posted by SarkyNorthener

9 new country ticks for you. That will take you to 82.

Silverstone is a new brewery for me, so I will be mugging you for sample of your fine wares.

I take it the Silverstone Skidmark is a brown beer.
However the Bottle says a Red beer.

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 04:35 Sun 1/18/2015

Not been to such a large scale tasting, how will we determine the order? Country ticks out of the way first then on to the more serious beers or all mixed up?

Leighton
beers 33724 º places 1204 º 04:37 Sun 1/18/2015

I know what a cockpit (one word) is, but a cock pit? You’ve got me all hot and excited now, Glen! Does this have something to do with the ’greatest show on earth’ as indicated on the spreadsheet?

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40549 º places 1239 º 04:47 Sun 1/18/2015

Originally posted by Beersiveknown
Not been to such a large scale tasting, how will we determine the order? Country ticks out of the way first then on to the more serious beers or all mixed up?

First up it would be best to prioritise new beers for everyone.

Not looked in detail but will do before the weekend, there’s probably 15/20 or so I’ve had and likely the same for a few others, so would make sense to leave these till the end.

I know 5 or 6 of us are on the 1850 back to London, plus ideally want to get away by 3.30/4 to hit some pubs in town, so won’t have time for everything anyway.

Makes sense to get country ticks out of the way first, as this seems something that everyone is keen on then take it from there.

In terms of a running order thereafter I find it better to just throw stuff in the mix, if you just leave all the 10% booze bombs to the end your palate may start to struggle, best to intersperse them throughout with 4/5% palate cleansers in between ... just my thoughts of course.

Also bear in mind people will rate at vastly different paces, some will only want to rate every 2nd or 3rd beer etc etc, some will power rate.

With the number of beers on show and the time some (even all) of us have there needs to be multiple beers on the go if we are to break down that mighty list.

imdownthepub
beers 26076 º places 2110 º 04:51 Sun 1/18/2015

Originally posted by Leighton

I know what a cockpit (one word) is, but a cock pit? You’ve got me all hot and excited now, Glen! Does this have something to do with the ’greatest show on earth’ as indicated on the spreadsheet?

Curses, my poor attempt at humour has been unearthed. You have me beaten with ’the greatest show on earth’ reference though.

Leighton
beers 33724 º places 1204 º 04:59 Sun 1/18/2015

Originally posted by Beersiveknown

Yeah, I’d say countries first since those would be in high demand.

Remember all to consider pour size. I know everyone wants a half pint of Lesothan pale lager, but tough shit, you’ll have to settle for a lot less.

Depending on the set up, we could either do a ’pour and pass’ system (i.e. pour yourself some and then pass the bottle), or more of a ’buffet’ style, where people just open their own bottle, take a pour and then leave it in an area where others can some and try it if they want - or browse the selection of open beers and make their choice.

When sitting around a table, the pour and pass system works. But given the different tasting preferences, speeds, etc., that we will have at Cotteridge, I think the buffet style tasting might work best. Of course, for anyone who has a ’special beer’, they can just hold it and pour it around to make sure it gets shared evenly.

Thoughts?

SarkyNorthener
beers 5200 º places 142 º 05:09 Sun 1/18/2015

I like the buffet idea. There are about 3 or 4 tables in there so we can spread the bottles around. I think we are going to be having single shots of most of these.

Maybe an idea to highlight on the spreadsheet those beers that will be in demand to pour seperately.

The_Osprey
beers 10591 º places 178 º 05:13 Sun 1/18/2015

500ml between 20 calls for some tight measure control!

I’ve never been to one of these before so I’ll just follow the power-raters’ lead.