RBSG 09

Reads 24836 • Replies 191 • Started Sunday, August 10, 2008 6:41:11 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

arjoseph
beers 642 º places 33 º 08:40 Mon 1/12/2009

Originally posted by eclectic

or no one from other cities wants to bother putting all the time and effort into planning an event that will never happen... again. (I have never been involved in a proposal, nor would I ever want to(because of the pointlessness of it), but I completely understand why local crews would say screw it when it comes to putting together a proposal for the gathering knowing in all likelihood that they will not win and all their efforts will go to waste)

I don’t know about this. There seem to be a lot of people who don’t want RBSG in California in back to back years, regardless of the quality of a San Francisco proposal. I’d think that even an "objectively" worse proposal from a midwest or east-coast city could compete, just for people who are closer to that place and wouldn’t travel to CA in any scenario.

That being said, I’m not one of those people. I’m looking forward to San Fran. I was mostly asking for some type of deadline just so we can make it official that nobody else is going to submit a proposal and San Francisco is the final choice.

kp
beers 10877 º places 12 º 12:28 Mon 1/12/2009

I completely understand why local crews would say screw it when it comes to putting together a proposal for the gathering knowing in all likelihood that they will not win and all their efforts will go to waste

That’s the attitude that creates unemployed virgins living in their parents basements for life.

alohaC
beers 12 º 13:02 Mon 1/12/2009

Originally posted by kp
I completely understand why local crews would say screw it when it comes to putting together a proposal for the gathering knowing in all likelihood that they will not win and all their efforts will go to waste

That’s the attitude that creates unemployed virgins living in their parents basements for life.

Seriously. What a cop-out. Sure, doing a gathering takes work, but it’s not like you have to make tremendous commitments that you can’t get out of if it doesn’t go through. It takes some homework, a few phone calls and some ideas to put a proposal together. It’s not brain surgery. I KNOW. I’VE DONE IT.

And the reason that our gathering in SD this past year was so successful was that once the voting was over and we knew everyone was excited about coming, Chris Quiroga and I went the distance to make it a good showing.

But to give up even submitting a proposal and not even being considered is ridiculous. There are tons of places and people here that can do this - and do it well.

egajdzis
beers 9974 º places 49 º 13:05 Mon 1/12/2009

Originally posted by alohaC

Seriously. What a cop-out. Sure, doing a gathering takes work, but it’s not like you have to make tremendous commitments that you can’t get out of if it doesn’t go through. It takes some homework, a few phone calls and some ideas to put a proposal together. It’s not brain surgery. I KNOW. I’VE DONE IT.

Yeah, and your proposal was accepted, the first time! Try doing that twice, and losing both times... You think I want to do another one?

alohaC
beers 12 º 13:26 Mon 1/12/2009

Originally posted by egajdzis

Yeah, and your proposal was accepted, the first time! Try doing that twice, and losing both times... You think I want to do another one?

I hear ya if you’re feeling shot down (which sucks), but who’s to say others in your local crew couldn’t take what you have and add to it/change it and run with it? Philly is a great town with a great beer scene and everyone seems to be proud of that fact. Is there no one else besides you who’s willing to step up from your fine city?

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 13:28 Mon 1/12/2009

Not to take anything away from you, Eric, but for the record, there WAS a San Diego proposal in for RBSG ’07 that JohnC put together. I know what you’re saying, and this fact doesn’t really change anything-- it’s damn demoralizing not to get the win if you put your city up for vote. And that may be why there were different people who put the proposals for SD together in different years. I *do* think it’d be great if you or someone else from Philly put together another proposal, at some point. I’d love to make it out to that area one of these days, since the culture of drinking (and the culture in general) seems so different than it is out here. RBSG or not, I’ll figure out a way some time soon, I hope.

And also, to echo alohaC’s sentiments, the big bulk of the work on this event is usually done AFTER the vote, so we don’t make promises and commitments with breweries/pubs/etc. and then look like flakes when we back out, even though there never should have been a promise in the first place. This is not to say that there isn’t any significant work required for the proposal, but I think the lion’s share comes in the months leading up to the actual event.

This year, somehow, it looks like many people are already counting on San Francisco taking it down. I don’t really like that mindset (although I’d love to go to San Francisco for an RBSG), because it’s so discouraging for others from different parts of the country. At this point, the best thing that can happen is to figure out a submittal deadline so this whole thing can just get wrapped up conclusively, one way or another-- as soon, as formally, and as decisively as possible. Then the real work can begin-- to make sure it goes down as a badass RBSG, where ever it is.

kp
beers 10877 º places 12 º 13:36 Mon 1/12/2009

What would be different about this proposal than the last two? Have that many places closed or opened in the last year that it would significantly change the proposal? I would think once you do the legwork and get a proposal created it would be a simple matter to resubmit it for the next year. If anything you should double check with your specific event venues like the grant tasting and make sure they are still cool with the idea.

egajdzis
beers 9974 º places 49 º 13:57 Mon 1/12/2009

Originally posted by kp

What would be different about this proposal than the last two? Have that many places closed or opened in the last year that it would significantly change the proposal? I would think once you do the legwork and get a proposal created it would be a simple matter to resubmit it for the next year. If anything you should double check with your specific event venues like the grant tasting and make sure they are still cool with the idea.

I guess I am just not that committed to it (anymore). There were a few helpers last year, and different ones a few years ago. So they’re out there.

biggcb
beers 464 º places 29 º 15:00 Wed 1/14/2009

Originally posted by kp

As others have mentioned, the Grand Tasting venue can be very difficult to nail down. I was one of the helpers that Eric refers to that helped put the Philly proposal together last year. I was tasked with hotel accomodations and the GT venue. And the venue was a battle and a half. I had to go to the legal department of the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board to get something in writing that said there was no law on the books that prevented a venue with a liquor license from allowing outside beverages to be brought into it. And this was with knowing someone who worked in the Sales department at said venue. My contact and several others are no longer at this venue, so we would have had to start from scratch. I would have been willing to do it, but without other locals who have the contacts at the local breweries/brewpubs/stores, it did not make sense.

PHILLY 2010!

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 17:05 Wed 1/14/2009

Originally posted by biggcb
Originally posted by kp

As others have mentioned, the Grand Tasting venue can be very difficult to nail down. I was one of the helpers that Eric refers to that helped put the Philly proposal together last year. I was tasked with hotel accomodations and the GT venue. And the venue was a battle and a half. I had to go to the legal department of the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board to get something in writing that said there was no law on the books that prevented a venue with a liquor license from allowing outside beverages to be brought into it. And this was with knowing someone who worked in the Sales department at said venue. My contact and several others are no longer at this venue, so we would have had to start from scratch. I would have been willing to do it, but without other locals who have the contacts at the local breweries/brewpubs/stores, it did not make sense.

PHILLY 2010!

Wow. That sounds like a real pain in the ass. But (and I’m sure this was considered) maybe it’s worth trying to hold at a private residence somewhere. Isn’t there anyone in the nearby area with a sizable back yard where we could set up some picnic tables and stuff? Or what about planning an RBSG *without* a traditional Grand Tasting? Don’t get me wrong-- the Grand Tasting is usually a highlight of the RBSG’s that I’ve been to (or heard about), but there’s nothing that necessarily *prescribes* it that way. If you could put together an alternative plan that can live up to the void left by the Grand Tasting, that’d be pretty damn cool, in my book. And small groups of people would still cut away to do their own mini-tastings in their hotels, regardless.

In any case, Philly in 2010 sounds good to me!