RBSG 09

Reads 24848 • Replies 191 • Started Sunday, August 10, 2008 6:41:11 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

mgumby10
beers 1856 º places 47 º 23:24 Sun 8/10/2008

Originally posted by Odeed
i wonder what all the "non-west" coast people who flew out for this years rbsg want?

To be honest, Im probably gonna go wherever its at. Ill go out to Cali again. Doesnt bother me that its in the same state, its a whole differnet set of breweries to visit, and some damn fine ones I might add.

Although, Ive never been to Philly before and certainly would be interested to check out the beer scene there as well.

Im not hard to please. I had such a good time at this last one, that Ill probably find myself heading to wherever we have it every year now if at all possible.

alohaC
beers 12 º 23:34 Sun 8/10/2008

Originally posted by FrumptyDumpty
Originally posted by notalush
There is some serious elitism in this thread.

No shit. Ashville, NC is a great place that has more then "one or two note worthy breweries". That is the kind of attitude that makes alot of professional brewers not like this site. Pull your head out of your ass some times people. Considering that NC just popped the cap 3 years ago alot of ground has been made out here. And some one eles said most of the best beer is at the grand tasting anyways.

Easy, guys. This isn’t about elitism. It’s about having a good time and offering everyone as wide, varied and great an experience as possible. I love your brewery, Frumpty and you guys are doing a hell of a job - along with Pisgah. However, Ashville is not there yet as far as a beer "destination" - especially when comparing yourself to other major East Coast cities who have yet to host, like Philly.

I feel very blessed to live in San Diego and don’t take it for granted. Ask anyone who met me in person last weekend and saw first-hand how hard cquiroga and I worked on this year’s gathering. We’re very far from elitist out here. Just lucky.

gunhaver
beers 1030 º places 13 º 23:38 Sun 8/10/2008

Originally posted by mgumby10
i wonder what all the "non-west" coast people who flew out for this years rbsg want?

To be honest, Im probably gonna go wherever its at. Ill go out to Cali again. Doesnt bother me that its in the same state, its a whole differnet set of breweries to visit, and some damn fine ones I might add.

Although, Ive never been to Philly before and certainly would be interested to check out the beer scene there as well.

Im not hard to please. I had such a good time at this last one, that Ill probably find myself heading to wherever we have it every year now if at all possible.

pretty much with gumby here, i’ll probably be there regardless

AgentSteve
beers 1648 º places 83 º 02:07 Mon 8/11/2008

I just solved the problem; it’s been talked about for several reasons for years. I started a petition to make Northern California and Southern California two different states. SoCal will be the 51st state. Can I get some signatures? I’m already up to six.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 02:19 Mon 8/11/2008

Just because we (Seattle) couldn’t find a spot for the grand tasting this year doesn’t mean we’re dead in the water for future years. We just need to get inspired/cleverer.

Or, one of us needs to buy an enormous house.

I’d love to organize a bid for a proper do-it-up Seattle RBSG, and a couple brewers casually mentioned wanting to do something nice for the geeks on the road. Maybe not AleSmith The Shit, but something nice. Draconian liquor laws just make public venues a bitch to find up here...but we’ll get it right at some point.

Meanwhile, if a group of no more than 10-15 beer nerds comes out for a visit, the Seattle crew will treat you right. Just don’t come out for an NBA game.

Walt
beers 2449 º places 189 º 02:33 Mon 8/11/2008

Originally posted by acrdz
Originally posted by beerguy101
And just to stir the Shit.

Is Ratebeer getting big enough that we would want to have two RBSG?

One on each coast? or one on a coast and one in the Middle.

I realize that members would not be able to travel to both. But this way you get to pick and choose which one you attend.

wasnt this going on around the same time as rbsg?

http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=97650&whichpage=9

so i guess thats already happening.

buttscratcha?

Buttscratcha!

I will always vote Buttscratcha with RBSG a second choice if they are the same weekend or consecutive weekends.

ChillCoat
beers 1029 º places 43 º 02:36 Mon 8/11/2008

Originally posted by aspidites
Originally posted by decaturstevo
Originally posted by dkachur
My vote goes to Asheville first, then Philly. Lots of active members have joined up even since I did nearly 15 months ago. I think it would be good for the site to keep the RBSG rotating, to keep new members involved. It’s been on a natural east to west swing for the past few years, unintentionally apparently. Let’s keep that up!

What are the requirements for the grand tasting? Do we find a place for free or pay? How much? How much space do we need?

I’ve only been to one and we paid and it was worth it the trouble is finding somebody who will allow you to bring beer on site. Bigger is better as far as space goes. It is best if the tasting can be held at the hotel so everyone can get rooms and not have to become mobile after it is over.

I was thinking the grand tasting would be good to have in the back room of a world famous beer bar.

That back room is a "no go", I talked to Dave about it back when we hoped to put in a bid for this year’s. I have a few great options though that I’ve already got OK’d

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 03:53 Mon 8/11/2008

Personal thoughts:

Anyone who says they would definitely go or would definitely not go to a particular location at this point in time should be soundly ignored. The gathering is not about "YOU." For perspective on how much things can change, for SD, I kept a list of all those who were "definitely coming" from about 3 months before the actual gathering up until the day it started, and the list grew to over 150 different RateBeer names over that time. In the end, over 70 of those people backed out for various reasons, including many longtime RB luminaries. Yeah,we still had a good time, and quite the turnout.

In my opinion, the vote should go to the place that will put on the best Summer Gathering, with *some* (but not hard-and-fast) consideration to mixing up geographic regions. If San Fran and Philly both put up killer proposals like they are capable of, I’d have a hard time choosing between the two. It would all come down to the specifics of each proposal. And yeah, I’d try to make it, wherever it was. But I wouldn’t vote based on which place was easiest for me to attend.

I’d encourage ANY interested party to put in a proposal for a place they’re passionate about. Philly, SF,sure. . . Anchorage, Boston, Seattle, New York, Denver. . . Maine??? Hell yeah! I live near Los Angeles, and I did a lot of work in getting the SD RBSG off the ground. It takes a lot of work, but a lot of doors can be opened and arrangements can be made via simple phone calls. That should be no surprise.

I really think the location should have at least one or two world class places to visit that could offer something of interest to all the travellers. It should be much more than just scenery and a bunch of bottles that people brought from home. That’s called NoogFest. Or Dark Lord Day. And I’m not trying to denigrate those great events.

hotstuff
beers 5394 º places 74 º 08:25 Mon 8/11/2008

No shit. Ashville, NC is a great place that has more then "one or two note worthy breweries". That is the kind of attitude that makes alot of professional brewers not like this site. Pull your head out of your ass some times people. Considering that NC just popped the cap 3 years ago alot of ground has been made out here. And some one eles said most of the best beer is at the grand tasting anyways.

From hotstuff on an earlier posting: "Asheville, NC would be another good area from the research I’ve done on the area."

BlackDonald
beers 1126 º places 59 º 10:00 Mon 8/11/2008

Originally posted by alohaC

Easy, guys. This isn’t about elitism. It’s about having a good time and offering everyone as wide, varied and great an experience as possible. I love your brewery, Frumpty and you guys are doing a hell of a job - along with Pisgah. However, Ashville is not there yet as far as a beer "destination" - especially when comparing yourself to other major East Coast cities who have yet to host, like Philly.

I feel very blessed to live in San Diego and don’t take it for granted. Ask anyone who met me in person last weekend and saw first-hand how hard cquiroga and I worked on this year’s gathering. We’re very far from elitist out here. Just lucky.

wait wait wait a minute! "Not there yet as a beer city?" Not talking about not having elitism in this thread? Tell me then what exactly does it take to make it a beer city? 7 breweries, 3 major beer bars, one that caters strictly to high end Belgians, and a beer store that specializes in crafts, but specifically Belgians. Plus a devout following of locals who fiercely defend the local brewing scene, city and statewide. I could see you saying that about Charlotte, but for my money it does not get any better than Asheville.