RBSG 09

Reads 24843 • Replies 191 • Started Sunday, August 10, 2008 6:41:11 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

alohaC
beers 12 º 01:45 Mon 12/29/2008

Originally posted by arjoseph
Originally posted by aspidites
Originally posted by jcwattsrugger
so are we looking at SF some time between July 8 and July 26th???

cherrs, john

That is correct.

There are seriously no other proposals? Nothing from the Philly crew? I am not averse to going to SF, but this default thing is disappointing.

Admins (Oakes, etc.), can we get some direction or an official voting timetable, please?

Well I can guarantee you that SF would not suck in the least.

I have full faith in your ability as an organizer, and in the beery goodness of the SF area. And in truth, I would probably vote for SF over any place but Chicago (which I dont think will be fielding a proposal, although I could be wrong about that). But I like democracy, and I like proactiveness. After we come to SF, does that mean we are going back to San Diego the following year? There should be a line of cities clamoring for all of RateBeer to descend upon them in July. (Thats all Im saying.)

We*ll be happy to do San Diego Part Deux next year. ; )

Seriously though, I know what you mean. I thought more places would step up - especially with all of the East vs. West Coast rivalry I*ve heard off and on in the forums.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 02:02 Mon 12/29/2008

I have full faith in your ability as an organizer, and in the beery goodness of the SF area. And in truth, I would probably vote for SF over any place but Chicago (which I dont think will be fielding a proposal, although I could be wrong about that). But I like democracy, and I like proactiveness. After we come to SF, does that mean we are going back to San Diego the following year? There should be a line of cities clamoring for all of RateBeer to descend upon them in July. (Thats all Im saying.)

The trick is finding a grand tasting venue. Last fall, we worked on a Seattle proposal for 08, and had on our team some connected people (not necessarily hugely active in the forums, but connected).

Even with those kind of people at the table, it is really tough to find a place that is:

1. near lodging
2. big enough
3. open all night
4. cool with outside booze
5. not abandoned or otherwise a cop magnet if a crowd is there

Surprisingly rare combination of qualities. In fact, in Seattle, "rare" turned out to mean "non-existent." We got to 4 out 5 a bunch of times, but never 5 out of 5.

And, oh, man, we had some *cool* ideas for itineraries and special events and added touches, too. Would have been beautiful. Of course, the Seattle crew is still always down to hang with out-of-towners and show off the local spoils...just not 100-200 people at a time.

decaturstevo
beers 6342 º places 200 º 10:26 Sun 1/11/2009

Any idea on a date yet? I know your working on it but as much lead time as possible is greatly appreciated.cheerstevo

faro99
beers 2 º 12:05 Sun 1/11/2009

In the past, hasn’t the date been chosen after the site has been voted on?

Immy
beers 1958 º places 110 º 12:20 Sun 1/11/2009

Originally posted by faro99
In the past, hasn’t the date been chosen after the site has been voted on?

Yeah, but in the past there was a choice. I’d SF has this pretty much wrapped up by default, no?

kp
beers 10877 º places 12 º 20:22 Sun 1/11/2009

Originally posted by Immy
Yeah, but in the past there was a choice. I’d SF has this pretty much wrapped up by default, no?

No. I think the SF people are too busy to put together a proposal, let alone host a large gathering.

aspidites
beers 1271 º places 1 º 20:41 Sun 1/11/2009

Originally posted by kp

No. I think the SF people are too busy to put together a proposal, let alone host a large gathering.

Your eyes must be very dark brown.

Odeed
beers 1812 º places 15 º 00:47 Mon 1/12/2009

Originally posted by alohaC

cherrs, john

That is correct.

There are seriously no other proposals? Nothing from the Philly crew? I am not averse to going to SF, but this default thing is disappointing.

Admins (Oakes, etc.), can we get some direction or an official voting timetable, please?

Well I can guarantee you that SF would not suck in the least.

We*ll be happy to do San Diego Part Deux next year. ; )

Seriously though, I know what you mean. I thought more places would step up - especially with all of the East vs. West Coast rivalry I*ve heard off and on in the forums.

nothin but shit talkin i guess.

eclectic
01:06 Mon 1/12/2009

Originally posted by SoLan

cherrs, john

That is correct.

Philly pretty much said no proposal this year in the locals forum, as did Atlanta. AFAIK, SF will win by default.

Wow. I know Mike will put together one hell of an event, but to have no other proposals is disappointing. Disappointing or everybody is just hyped to go to a SF RBSG.

or no one from other cities wants to bother putting all the time and effort into planning an event that will never happen... again. (I have never been involved in a proposal, nor would I ever want to(because of the pointlessness of it), but I completely understand why local crews would say screw it when it comes to putting together a proposal for the gathering knowing in all likelihood that they will not win and all their efforts will go to waste)

cgarvieuk
beers 37694 º places 457 º 02:58 Mon 1/12/2009

Maybe you guys take it much more seriously.

But this year RBESG only had 1 entry and that was about 1000 words long. So wasnt too much effort.

If i didnt have time to do a big complex proposal, throw the rough outline of what your confident you can do together. who know maybe you’ll be a place people can easily or really want to goto.

From what i gather your a much bigger event , which i supose makes finding a venue much more difficult.