College Football Thread 2012

Reads 88284 • Replies 1163 • Started Sunday, March 4, 2012 6:50:38 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 13:48 Thu 7/19/2012

Originally posted by mgumby10
Originally posted by TheCheeseMan
And before you guys are all over it, yes I know Ray Ray Armstrong was dismissed today. It wasnt unexpected, kid was apparently trying to holler at a shorty on Facebook and mentions he’s got plenty of money from agents or some shit. Whether its true, or he was just trying to impress her, is irrelevant. Kid is dumb to put that shit out there with out current situation and he was booted.

Was a solid player and starter for us, but never lived up to his 5 star billing.

Im still standing by our 7-5, possibly 6-6, record this year. We arent gonna be very good due to losing most of our starters on both sides of the ball to graduation or early entry. Gonna be ridiculously young, but in 2 years GOLDEN FUCKING AGE takes over. Know that shit.

Wait, I thought we were already in the Golden Age.

Is Gumby the new GoT?

We’re in it, but it "takes over" in a couple years.

Gotta clear out Randy’s dogshit, and get Big Al’s players and development in there.

GoT? Hardly. Im not here predicting undefeated seasons. In fact, the exact opposite lol. I’ll never stoop to that level of muppetry.

Golden will be fired before it even gets a chance to "take over."

You should hurry up and find a new winning team to be a fan of, so you can think you look cool again. Miami isn’t winning shit for the next 20 years.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 15:33 Thu 7/19/2012

Originally posted by Guyute_Pig
Originally posted by TheAlum
This thread is far too cordial for us..

..Must be because it’s the middle of July.

Yeah, I don’t get cranky and scathing until mid-August.

For example, I didn’t even mention that UCF hasn’t even attained "Peasant" status in that SI article.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 15:44 Thu 7/19/2012

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
And before you guys are all over it, yes I know Ray Ray Armstrong was dismissed today. It wasnt unexpected, kid was apparently trying to holler at a shorty on Facebook and mentions he’s got plenty of money from agents or some shit. Whether its true, or he was just trying to impress her, is irrelevant. Kid is dumb to put that shit out there with out current situation and he was booted.

Was a solid player and starter for us, but never lived up to his 5 star billing.

Im still standing by our 7-5, possibly 6-6, record this year. We arent gonna be very good due to losing most of our starters on both sides of the ball to graduation or early entry. Gonna be ridiculously young, but in 2 years GOLDEN FUCKING AGE takes over. Know that shit.

Is Gumby the new GoT?

Gotta clear out Randy’s dogshit, and get Big Al’s players and development in there.

GoT? Hardly. Im not here predicting undefeated seasons. In fact, the exact opposite lol. I’ll never stoop to that level of muppetry.

You should hurry up and find a new winning team to be a fan of, so you can think you look cool again. Miami isn’t winning shit for the next 20 years.

Ok, you are apparently back in delusional, mid-season form.

They’ll give him four years and THEN fire him.

Miami is nothing if not fair when it comes to giving its coaches a fighting chance. Now, when you start talking NCAA rules and institutional control? Not so much.

When the sanctions come down, a lot of Miami’s talent will flip. Plus, scholly reductions and no post season appearances for a couple more years will really hurt recruiting... and recruiting is all Miami really has.

The actual game-day coaching has sucked for years.

West Virginia had that problem for three years and three years was enough.

mgumby10
beers 1856 º places 47 º 17:09 Thu 7/19/2012

Originally posted by hopscotch

Is Gumby the new GoT?

Miami is nothing if not fair when it comes to giving its coaches a fighting chance. Now, when you start talking NCAA rules and institutional control? Not so much.

When the sanctions come down, a lot of Miami’s talent will flip. Plus, scholly reductions and no post season appearances for a couple more years will really hurt recruiting... and recruiting is all Miami really has.

We had sanctions, scholarship reductions, probabtion, etc. in the mid 90’s as well. We never recovered.

Oh wait, we came back and formulated a team with the greatest collection of talent any of you have ever witnessed on the college level.

First of all, you’re welcome for that. Second of all, I’m not worried.

Just a vicscious cycle we seem to go through, but can’t wait to see the sickness that comes back around for more titles, All-Americans, NFL studs, and all of your tears.

Golden Age

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 21:23 Thu 7/19/2012

Originally posted by hopscotch

Is Gumby the new GoT?

We had sanctions, scholarship reductions, probabtion, etc. in the mid 90’s as well. We never recovered.

Oh wait, we came back and formulated a team with the greatest collection of talent any of you have ever witnessed on the college level.

First of all, you’re welcome for that. Second of all, I’m not worried.

Just a vicscious cycle we seem to go through, but can’t wait to see the sickness that comes back around for more titles, All-Americans, NFL studs, and all of your tears.

Golden Age

True, but the coach that put that team together was fired before everything came to fruition. There were some lean years between the mid-90s and 2001. So, Golden getting the boot would just fall in line with the previous cycle.... or the one before that? It’s been a long while this time around. Plus, there’s no guarantee that at the end of his tenure, Miami will win another national championship... ever.

Problem is, kids in south Florida don’t mind leaving anymore. Kids in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties no longer mind heading up to Gainesville, Tallahassee and points much farther north and west to play ball for more competitive teams.

The lean years have lasted longer this time around... and again, sanctions haven’t even come down yet. On top of all that, Miami is pickier than it can really afford to be when it comes to recruiting nowadays. The facilities are old and run down and those high academic standards are a real bitch.

Miami hasn’t been much for those south Florida boys to root for since they were like seven-years-old. They’re not all passionate ’Canes fans anymore.

So far, the Golden Age is six up and six down - where it counts.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 16:35 Fri 7/20/2012

Awwww... hate to break up your little circle jerk.

Golden Age

Al Golden’s staff implicated in Miami recruiting scandal. I don’t know who deserves the death penalty more, the pederasts or the cheaters.

mgumby10
beers 1856 º places 47 º 16:52 Fri 7/20/2012

Golden Age

Al Golden’s staff implicated in Miami recruiting scandal. I don’t know who deserves the death penalty more, the pederasts or the cheaters.

Uh oh...

Was wondering how long it was gonna take for someone to bring this here. Cheese never disappoints.

Secondary vioaltions if true, but makes it look real bad with the other crap.

All I can do shit myself and hold my breath.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 19:37 Fri 7/20/2012

Golden Age

Uh oh...

Was wondering how long it was gonna take for someone to bring this here. Cheese never disappoints.

Secondary vioaltions if true, but makes it look real bad with the other crap.

All I can do shit myself and hold my breath.

Just got home and BOOM!!!

• Class of 2011 recruit Thomas Finnie. Finnie was committed to South Carolina before a change to Miami on Jan. 7, 2011. Finnie and his family told reporters that Golden’s staff won him over during the week he made the change. The day before the change in his commitment, Allen’s phone records show Finnie calling Allen at 1:54 p.m. At 7:27 p.m. the same day, Allen’s records show a one-minute call to Barrow immediately followed by a two-minute call to Finnie.

• Class of 2012 recruit Herb Waters. Allen called Waters seven times on June 11, 2011, and received one call from Waters on the same day. The former Hurricanes staffer said Allen was working the third session of Golden’s summer football camp on this day and was tasked with making sure Waters attended the practice. The staffer said Miami was vying for a commitment from either Waters or Amari Cooper for one open recruiting slot at receiver. Waters committed to Miami in July of 2011.

• Class of 2012 recruit Amari Cooper. Allen called and/or received a total five calls from Cooper on June 13, 2011, and July 4-5, 2011. Cooper committed to Alabama. A spokesperson for Alabama declined comment, citing Nick Saban’s policy of barring freshmen from speaking with the media.

• Class of 2012 recruit Randy "Duke" Johnson. Johnson called Allen on June 15, 2011. Johnson committed to Miami and became Golden’s second-highest ranked recruit in the class of 2012.

• Class of 2012 recruit James Burgess. Allen called and/or received a total of six calls from Burgess. Burgess initially committed to Miami in July of 2011, but later de-committed and headed to Louisville. Cardinals spokesperson Rocco Gasparro said Burgess declined comment.

• Class of 2011 recruit Eli Rogers. Rogers called Allen on May 29, 2011. Rogers ultimately signed with Louisville. Cardinals spokesperson Rocco Gasparro said Rogers declined comment.

THE MOTHER FUCKING GOLDEN AGE!!!

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 19:40 Fri 7/20/2012

And Gumby, they aren’t secondary violations.

The latest issues involving Allen are twofold – his having provided improper benefits to players dating back to early in his career at Miami; and his continued improper contact with Miami recruits, which allegedly lasted through his final days working for the Hurricanes in the summer of 2011.

NCAA rules stipulate that anyone who improperly "assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families" triggers the association’s booster clause under bylaw 13.02.14. Allen said in federal testimony in connection with Shapiro’s bankruptcy case that he provided improper benefits to players as far back as the mid-2000s. The NCAA’s rules also state that equipment managers such as Allen cannot engage in recruiting calls or assist in off-campus recruiting unless they are designated and counted as an assistant coach under Bylaw 11.7.

If Golden knew that Allen was impermissibly recruiting for the Hurricanes during Golden’s tenure, it would contradict the message the Miami coach has sent repeatedly in recent months: That his staff was cleaning up problems from the Shapiro era – not taking part in them. As Golden framed it for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel in a Feb. 1, 2012, story, "We weren’t responsible for [the problems], but we are responsible enough to fix it."

But according to Allen’s federal testimony and the former Hurricanes staffer, Allen’s recruiting infractions occurred almost immediately after Golden’s tenure began and took place with the participation of at least two other former or current coaches – former assistant Aubrey Hill, who left Miami’s staff three weeks into Golden’s tenure, and current assistant coach Micheal Barrow.

The Golden Age. God dammit, thank you Al Golden, the thread will spring back to life.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 05:30 Sat 7/21/2012

Seriously? The equipment manager? Well, at Miami, even the equipment manager has a backpack full of cash. At most schools the equipment manager is just the equipment manager. Maybe he can score some free seats or sideline passes for his family and friends. At Miami? Well, it’s Who Wants to be a Millionaire?