College Football Thread 2012

Reads 88283 • Replies 1163 • Started Sunday, March 4, 2012 6:50:38 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 14:55 Tue 8/21/2012

What’s the story with this kid, Gumby?

Cornerback Vernon Davis, originally from Miami (Fla.) Coral Reef H.S., is in the process of transferring to West Virginia after being granted his release from scholarship Tuesday sources have confirmed to WVSports.com.

Davis, 5-foot-10, 175-pounds, had considered West Virginia heavily in high school before opting to sign with the Hurricanes a team that he grew up rooting for as a child. A class of 2012 prospect, Davis also held offers from Vanderbilt, Cincinnati, Ole Miss, UCF, Memphis and FIU.

The Miami Herald report cites an issue with trust with the coaching staff and concerns over playing time. In high school, Davis was ranked as a three-star recruit by Rivals.com.

Due to NCAA transfer rules, Davis would have to sit out the 2012 season.

mgumby10
beers 1856 º places 47 º 16:26 Tue 8/21/2012

Originally posted by hopscotch

Cornerback Vernon Davis, originally from Miami (Fla.) Coral Reef H.S., is in the process of transferring to West Virginia after being granted his release from scholarship Tuesday sources have confirmed to WVSports.com.

Davis, 5-foot-10, 175-pounds, had considered West Virginia heavily in high school before opting to sign with the Hurricanes a team that he grew up rooting for as a child. A class of 2012 prospect, Davis also held offers from Vanderbilt, Cincinnati, Ole Miss, UCF, Memphis and FIU.

The Miami Herald report cites an issue with trust with the coaching staff and concerns over playing time. In high school, Davis was ranked as a three-star recruit by Rivals.com.

Just realized he wasnt going to get any playing time for a while. We signed 6 corners last year and after fall ball he is waaaaay down the depth chart. 5 star stud Tracey Howard and Antonio Crawford have been our freshman standouts at corner.

Apparently WVU has some depth issues there, where there are some walk-ons as backups?

Good sign though when kids start transferring because of competition. Means we’re on the right track.

Kid has some skills though and was a good return man in high school. He should help you guys.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 17:04 Tue 8/21/2012

Originally posted by mgumby10
Originally posted by hopscotch

Just realized he wasnt going to get any playing time for a while. We signed 6 corners last year and after fall ball he is waaaaay down the depth chart. 5 star stud Tracey Howard and Antonio Crawford have been our freshman standouts at corner.

Apparently WVU has some depth issues there, where there are some walk-ons as backups?

Good sign though when kids start transferring because of competition. Means we’re on the right track.

Kid has some skills though and was a good return man in high school. He should help you guys.

Yeah we’re gonna need all the defensive backfield help we can get in the spread-’em-out-’n’-chuck-it Big XII. We signed some this year and are recruiting them hard for 2013, but those kids won’t be ready for a couple years. We’re going after linebackers too since the 3-3-5 nickel defense we’d been running wasn’t much of a linebacker-friendly scheme.

Of course, we also went after running backs very hard in the 2012 and 2013 classes because every team should have like ten of them.

Seriously though, some of those RBs will be moved to slot.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 21:28 Tue 8/21/2012

1 week 3 days until kickoff!

Tavon Awesome!

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 07:35 Wed 8/22/2012

Well, the kid I expected to get the 4* bump did for us.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Delano-Hill-134371;_ylt=Amf6fFsXHfkF9fy.k6k2nkxDPZB4

I think Wisnieski gets a bump by the end of the season as well..

And I think once Trevon Young gets a Rivals Eval, he’ll be close to a 4* as well.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 12:50 Wed 8/22/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum
Well, the kid I expected to get the 4* bump did for us.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Delano-Hill-134371;_ylt=Amf6fFsXHfkF9fy.k6k2nkxDPZB4

I think Wisnieski gets a bump by the end of the season as well..

And I think once Trevon Young gets a Rivals Eval, he’ll be close to a 4* as well.

One of our basketball recruits got a bump up to 4*. Does that count?

jzzbassman
beers 1638 º places 30 º 19:16 Wed 8/22/2012

UNDEFEATED!!!

LOL, actually have no clue. Bama replaces a lot on D, but I feel a hell of a lot more confident that the O will be seasoned. Coach Saban will have the D playing well no matter how many new starters I think.

I think Bama’s own worst enemy will be themselves. Overconfidence was the killer in 2010.

jzzbassman
beers 1638 º places 30 º 19:21 Wed 8/22/2012

Oh and this will be the first Bama opener I’ve missed watching since....man can’t even remember.

With my wife jobless currently I got a gig that evening in Memphis that paid too much to turn down, especially since I’ll already be up there playing at the Southern Folklore Festival that afternoon.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 06:21 Thu 8/23/2012

Originally posted by jzzbassman
Oh and this will be the first Bama opener I’ve missed watching since....man can’t even remember.

With my wife jobless currently I got a gig that evening in Memphis that paid too much to turn down, especially since I’ll already be up there playing at the Southern Folklore Festival that afternoon.

For a year, I lived about 1 hour outside of Memphis on the Arkansas side. Used to hit a lot of the blues clubs on weekends both on and way off Beale Street. Where are you playing that night? Mighta been there.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 06:22 Thu 8/23/2012

So.. we update Alabama to 12-0 then, yes??