Fake BA AleSmith bottles

Reads 30125 • Replies 240 • Started Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:51:28 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 11:24 Wed 10/31/2007

I was considering trading an extra bottle of BA Numbskull, but this thread has made me reticent to do so.

boboski
beers 1095 º places 16 º 11:28 Wed 10/31/2007

Originally posted by miketd
I was considering trading an extra bottle of BA Numbskull, but this thread has made me reticent to do so.

I trust you, Mike

kmweaver
beers 3208 º places 116 º 11:28 Wed 10/31/2007

Originally posted by fly
Originally posted by drewbeerme
I’d rather not go into too many details. The bottles were reportedly bought from the recent BA AleSmith release event and not from someone outside the brewery or on ebay.

so, from this then it would either be the trader or an employee.

(I blame mj)

I have a very hard time believing that it would be from an employee during the immediate BA Alesmith release (i.e., while people were waiting in line as opposed to getting them by some other means), for the following reason:

From what I saw, the BA Old Numbskull, BA Wee Heavy, and BA Decadence were packed into SEPARATE brown paper bags: 2 BA ON in a bag, 2 BA WH in a bag, and 1 BA Decadence in a bag. For people who wanted all five bottles, they received three different brown paper bags. These bags were distributed !haphazardly. If there happened to be a few counterfeit bottles snuck into amongst these bags, there had to be some crazy luck involved in one person unluckily getting three counterfeit bags.

kmweaver
beers 3208 º places 116 º 11:30 Wed 10/31/2007

Originally posted by kmweaver
Originally posted by fly
Originally posted by drewbeerme
I’d rather not go into too many details. The bottles were reportedly bought from the recent BA AleSmith release event and not from someone outside the brewery or on ebay.

so, from this then it would either be the trader or an employee.

(I blame mj)

I have a very hard time believing that it would be from an employee during the immediate BA Alesmith release (i.e., while people were waiting in line as opposed to getting them by some other means), for the following reason:

From what I saw, the BA Old Numbskull, BA Wee Heavy, and BA Decadence were packed into SEPARATE brown paper bags: 2 BA ON in a bag, 2 BA WH in a bag, and 1 BA Decadence in a bag. For people who wanted all five bottles, they received three different brown paper bags. These bags were distributed !haphazardly. If there happened to be a few counterfeit bottles snuck into amongst these bags, there had to be some crazy luck involved in one person unluckily getting three counterfeit bags.

Also, Andrew, I don’t imagine this is something that you haven’t already discussed with Peter and the trader in question. It’s just hard to understand how this would have occurred innocently.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 11:32 Wed 10/31/2007

Originally posted by boboski

I trust you, Mike

I know people that have already traded with me will trust, but this thread will put doubt in many minds now...rightfully so.

boboski
beers 1095 º places 16 º 11:34 Wed 10/31/2007

I trust you, Mike

I know people that have already traded with me will trust, but this thread will put doubt in many minds now...rightfully so.

Yep.
There is no fucking way this came from the release party.

ClarkVV
beers 13425 º places 111 º 11:38 Wed 10/31/2007

It obviously wasnt an employee. They have no motivation to do this (oh boy, they get to pocket ~50 bucks and jeopardize their job and the integrity of the brewery...).

I don’t know the situation, but this trader who purportedly "got them from the brewery in person" is lying. There’s no innocent mistake here, that’s ridiculous that someone would even mention that as a possibility.

One of 2 things happened:

1) The trader is lying to you and did this himself.

2) Actually, I was going to say he got them from a trade and didnt realize, but if he is claiming they were purchased at the brewery, there’s no way this could have happened.

I ask the trader to explain himself publicly, but I’m sure that won’t happen.

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 11:40 Wed 10/31/2007

Originally posted by ClarkVV
It obviously wasnt an employee. They have no motivation to do this (oh boy, they get to pocket ~50 bucks and jeopardize their job and the integrity of the brewery...).

I don’t know the situation, but this trader who purportedly "got them from the brewery in person" is lying. There’s no innocent mistake here, that’s ridiculous that someone would even mention that as a possibility.

One of 2 things happened:

1) The trader is lying to you and did this himself.

2) Actually, I was going to say he got them from a trade and didnt realize, but if he is claiming they were purchased at the brewery, there’s no way this could have happened.

I ask the trader to explain himself publicly, but I’m sure that won’t happen.

What is going to stop this guy from doing the same thing again.
Some resolution is needed.

Vac
beers 2445 º places 38 º 11:42 Wed 10/31/2007

I was wondering when this would come up. It really sucks that this happened to you Andrew and from everything that I’ve been told about it, it sounds pretty fuckin’ fishy to me. My first thought is that the person who sent you the fake bottles wouldn’t admit to making the fakes himself anyway...it doesn’t matter if you or Peter or whoever asked them about it. I have my own feelings about what is going on, but, I’m not going to get into why.

As far as it being an Alesmith employee doing it...not a chance. I know all of them pretty well and they have way to much pride and passion in the brewery, their beers and their jobs to do something that stupid.

MI2CA
beers 1340 º places 19 º 11:42 Wed 10/31/2007

I trust you, Mike

Yep.
There is no fucking way this came from the release party.

What would an employee gain by doing this? A few bottles of the BA for themselves to sell on ebay or drink? I’m not sure, but I assume they can buy bottles themselves.

If the trader said s/he got it directly from the brewery at the release party, is there anyone else who was there that can verify that the trader in question was actually there?