Fake BA AleSmith bottles

Reads 30133 • Replies 240 • Started Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:51:28 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Cletus
beers 6349 º places 233 º 13:42 Fri 11/2/2007

And for the record, I’d still trade with alafito if he had something I really wanted as long as he agreed to ship first. This whole thing sucks and smells rotten, but there’s no hard proof and he didn’t pull an alaskaiscold so let’s not hang the guy.

Ofortuna
beers 322 º places 12 º 13:55 Fri 11/2/2007

Originally posted by TheBeerCellar
I make the call. And as some have said previously, there is no proof that alafito has been complicit in this fraud. This is not nearly as cut and dry as you’re making it...and no, neither circumstantial evidence, nor the court of public opinion have any bearing on this.

Get ahold of your damn Mob self.

And I don’t give two shits what other sites are watching this unfold. We are the only site on the web to have taken trading to a new level...a nigh art form. If anyone else is watching this unfold, I hope it’s to learn how trading is meant to be done.

I’m really getting sick of this "string-’em-up" Mob mentality. I’d have hated to be an accused person in any of your towns in the old West.

Easy Sally, no need to get your panties all up in a bunch.

I was merely summarizing where the thread was at. Obviously you are one of the individuals who helps to make the call on this sort of thing.

Besides, it all now seems to be done. Drew did what he thought was right, you stated your position as a trade authority and that’s that. Now, everyone else just needs to deal with the outcome and let it pass. Everyone’s aware of potential fakes and Alesmith is changing how they handle special releases.

As just one member, it’s good to see the process work itself out as long as members don’t get too caught up in it or take things too personally.

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 14:02 Fri 11/2/2007

Originally posted by jjpm74

Keep in mind that the summary limit makes a full explanation impossible, so maybe you could just write

Received 3 fake BA Alesmith bottles. See this thread this thread for details:

http://www.ratebeer.com/Forums/Topic-77576.htm

as even though the thread will disappear from the main page in a few weeks, it doesn’t get deleted completely from the database but gets impossible to find without a direct link.

By the way, is anyone else as nerdy as I am to actually have a list of some noteworthy threads with their Topic #s so you can look them up for "archival" purposes?

Ofortuna
beers 322 º places 12 º 14:03 Fri 11/2/2007

Originally posted by cquiroga
By the way, is anyone else as nerdy as I am to actually have a list of some noteworthy threads with their Topic #s so you can look them up for "archival" purposes?

Hmm, never thought of that? Great idea Chris!

badbeer
beers 434 º 14:08 Fri 11/2/2007

And I don’t give two shits what other sites are watching this unfold. We are the only site on the web to have taken trading to a new level...a nigh art form. If anyone else is watching this unfold, I hope it’s to learn how trading is meant to be done.

I’m really getting sick of this "string-’em-up" Mob mentality. I’d have hated to be an accused person in any of your towns in the old West.

Umm, it isn’t so much other sites watching this unfold as it is me just posting a heads-up to double check BA AleSmith bottles to possibly prevent others from being screwed over and not realizing it. The way you make this sound is as though other sites don’t know how to trade, which is ridiculous. Trading is an exchange of beer between those involved, just because there isn’t an official rating system at other sites (though it is very nice having a system) doesn’t mean they aren’t trading in a manner that is different than how trading is "meant to be done." Both places accomplish the goal of trading, one just has a more formal way of tracking completed trades.

arrogantb
beers 1402 º 14:17 Fri 11/2/2007

An art form? Really? Your post certainly takes beer geekdom to a new level.

MaltOMeal
beers 1094 º places 46 º 14:39 Fri 11/2/2007

Originally posted by Ofortuna
No hard evidence exists. However, there is a certain degree of circumstantial evidence which could establish his guilt or innocence by way of reasoning. Again though, who makes that call? Not any of us in my opinion.

I make the call. And as some have said previously, there is no proof that alafito has been complicit in this fraud. This is not nearly as cut and dry as you’re making it...and no, neither circumstantial evidence, nor the court of public opinion have any bearing on this.

Feel free to not trade with him, but he can not be sanctioned by this site, while he’s claiming innocence and there’s no evidence to the contrary. Get ahold of your damn Mob self.

While I understand the admin and AleSmith being willing to accept alibis because they don’t want to be held sued for defamation and lible and it gets them off the hook, that doesn’t mean the rest of us have to.

The "circumstantial" evidence in this case points to one person and is quite strong. Gladly, Andrew knew what to check for. I would guess that many people that commit crimes will come up with some kind of alibi if they think it has a chance of getting them off, regardless of how cacamami(sp) it sounds. Kids do this stuff in grade school from an early age - ’dog ate my homework’. As some get older their alibis may get more convincing, that doesn’t mean they aren’t fabricated. As most police detectives will tell you, the most likely suspect is almost always the guilty party. Most alibis that don’t sound likely are contrived and are like conspiracy theories. Pure BS. You can believe them if you are so inclined.

holdenn
beers 2117 º places 15 º 14:50 Fri 11/2/2007

Originally posted by MaltOMeal
Originally posted by Ofortuna
No hard evidence exists. However, there is a certain degree of circumstantial evidence which could establish his guilt or innocence by way of reasoning. Again though, who makes that call? Not any of us in my opinion.

Feel free to not trade with him, but he can not be sanctioned by this site, while he’s claiming innocence and there’s no evidence to the contrary. Get ahold of your damn Mob self.

While I understand the admin and AleSmith being willing to accept alibis because they don’t want to be held sued for defamation and lible and it gets them off the hook, that doesn’t mean the rest of us have to.

The "circumstantial" evidence in this case points to one person and is quite strong. Gladly, Andrew knew what to check for. I would guess that many people that commit crimes will come up with some kind of alibi if they think it has a chance of getting them off, regardless of how cacamami(sp) it sounds. Kids do this stuff in grade school from an early age - ’dog ate my homework’. As some get older their alibis may get more convincing, that doesn’t mean they aren’t fabricated. As most police detectives will tell you, the most likely suspect is almost always the guilty party. Most alibis that don’t sound likely are contrived and are like conspiracy theories. Pure BS. You can believe them if you are so inclined.

So i think it comes down to this:

If he’s guilty as many believe what can you do. Smear his name more? (anyone who cares has probably already read this thread unless he trades other things)
Put a trader beware banner? (I really doubt he would do it again at this point and most of his few trades have been with andrew)

So what do you do. Our electronic torches aren’t going to do any damage to anyone.
In reality, I don’t think we can do much more than bitch and hope anyone that would ever consider such a thing in the future might read this thread and think twice. .... But since there has been quite a bit of bitching at this point, I don’t see much of a point in trying to prove something that can’t be proven.

Unless we want to see if this will become the longest thread ever.
What is that record?

ClarkVV
beers 13425 º places 111 º 15:03 Fri 11/2/2007

Can’t do anything at this point. It’s over. Hopefully everyone learned a lesson. This thread should be frozen and allowed to die a much needed death, IMHO.

Ofortuna
beers 322 º places 12 º 15:07 Fri 11/2/2007

Good point.

It’s over. The involved parties and powers-that-be have spoken and made their decision. Seems like they’ve made their peace and everyone else just has to move on.

Everyone put down your virtual torches and pitchforks. Time for the mob to go home, relax and have a homebrew.