Fake BA AleSmith bottles

Reads 30134 • Replies 240 • Started Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:51:28 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 12:37 Thu 11/1/2007

I know nothing about the circumstances, barely know Andrew from BMs. But just to play devil’s advocate, did Alafito say he bought these three bottles in question FROM ALESMITH that day? Or from out of the back of some guy’s truck?

Because he had more bottles than AS would sell to any one person that day...just saying.

FWIW, I am still not convinced Alafito deserves criticism for deliberate fraud with malice aforethought. I won’t trade with him until he somehow pleads his case convincingly, but this is still more perplexing than criminal, due to all the good other bottles and open communication. Clearly he needs to call off this trade, return Andrew’s stuff, and do it over to Andrew’s benefit with other good beer. Andrew needs to come out ahead for this to be right, even if it was through no fault or even doing of Alafito.

Fakes are worse than no box only because there could always be some explanation for no box. Fakes can rarely be explained.

Ty5592
beers 1024 º places 1 º 12:40 Thu 11/1/2007

Originally posted by drewbeerme

Perhaps it is faulty logic, but I didn’t feel there was urgency to out this person because I don’t believe he’s still sending these bottles. If I thought other RB’s were in danger of being victimized then the details of this would have come out a lot sooner.

Funny, I’ve traded with the guy and beermailed you asking about the bottles. Even told you I had one coming. How do you know it wasn’t coming from him? Not saying you should have told me it was him, however.....

Vac
beers 2445 º places 38 º 12:49 Thu 11/1/2007

I was initially not sure I knew the person who sent the bottles. Since my name was brought up in the conversations between Peter, Alifito and Andrew, Peter asked me if I knew the sender, however, there must have been some confusion because I thought it was someone else that Peter was asking about. I do know alifito, not on a friendship level, but as a fellow ratebeerian. I did see him at the release party, but, whether or not he got there in time to buy bottles before they were sold out, I don’t know...Other than saying hi to him I didn’t talk to him (or anyother ratebeerians for that matter, I was pretty busy behind the bar) Additionally, if he was there in time to get bottles the reason he had more than the allowed bottles per person is because his wife was most likely also there (he usually brings her to these things) so between the two of them they would be able to get twice as many bottles.

ryan
beers 3185 º places 13 º 12:50 Thu 11/1/2007

Originally posted by after4ever

Because he had more bottles than AS would sell to any one person that day...just saying.

No, he didn’t. Obviously he bought the other bottles way before the most recent release because the other trades were well before it. Unless you are suggesting time travel....

eclectic
13:14 Thu 11/1/2007

FWIW, I am still not convinced Alafito deserves criticism for deliberate fraud with malice aforethought.

to clarify, my last 2 replies weren’t directed at alafito necessarily(unless he is guilty), but to the idea of bottle fraud in general

estoppel
beers 1028 º 13:15 Thu 11/1/2007

Is there really a difference between the BA and the regular?

hopson
beers 635 º places 11 º 13:21 Thu 11/1/2007

Originally posted by estoppel

I think my friend Jason brings up an important point. This barrel aging is making people CRAZY! Fraud, deceit, accusations, double and triple crosses, scandal all resulting from the barrel aging of beers.

On a serious note, this situation does stink, and appears as though there was wrong doing on the part of the trader. That said, let’s give him the benefit of the doubt until he (or a very good pr person) releases a statement. I don’t think its fair to convict him yet.

kp
beers 10877 º places 12 º 13:22 Thu 11/1/2007

I hope this is a lesson for anyone attempting fraud in the future. Make sure you get the look of the bottle correct down to the foil and bottle markings. And if it is a BA beer, make sure you add a shot of whiskey to whatever beer you use to fill the bottle. Unless you’re trading with TBC as he never opens the rare bottles.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 13:24 Thu 11/1/2007

Originally posted by artusory

No, he didn’t. Obviously he bought the other bottles way before the most recent release because the other trades were well before it. Unless you are suggesting time travel....

Sorry. I got it in my head that he traded 8 bottles from this release, and three were fake. And he says he thought all 8 were real. Which sounds to me like his story if that he paid for 8 bottles that day, perhaps even in good faith.

I don’t necessarily really believe that some random guy defrauded Alafito and he then innocently defrauded Andrew. But there are parts of this story that still seem untold.

ClarkVV
beers 13425 º places 111 º 13:24 Thu 11/1/2007

Originally posted by estoppel

Yes. Different beers and different releases show variable amounts of barrel character.

The initial release of BA Old Numbskull was incredibly full of bourbon character.

The second release of BA Speedway was much more subtle on the bourbon.

However, even the batches that have more subtle character are still noticeably different from their non-barrel-aged counterparts.