Fake BA AleSmith bottles

Reads 30135 • Replies 240 • Started Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:51:28 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

miketd
beers 5 º places 125 º 13:50 Wed 10/31/2007

The very first thing that the person who recieved the beer from him should do is send it back.

Good point Jason. I think that would be reasonable.

eclectic
13:58 Wed 10/31/2007

Originally posted by boboski
A duck!

I agree wholeheartedly, eclectic, and don’t think anyone really wants to think that this could happen to them in the future - people too often trade a ton of great beer for rare Alesmith brews, as Andrew may have done.

The very first thing that the person who recieved the beer from him should do is send it back.

they should, and if they already drank them at least compensate for the cost of the bottles..

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 15:32 Wed 10/31/2007

BTW, I am sort of amazed that any CEO has time to address grey market/black market fraud like Peter Z did in this case. I know Andrew already publicly thanked him, but that’s pretty exceptional, and I just wanted to call attention to it since that’s one of the big things that stands out for me here.

Can you imagine if Chevy stepped in when your cousin bought a ’75 Camaro from a guy in the paper, and found out that it WASN’T REALLY a brand-new water pump in there? Never happen.

But Z is nice enough to smooth ruffled feathers for us, because we’re his cwaziest customers, and I’m getting all emotional about it.

eclectic
15:53 Wed 10/31/2007

Originally posted by after4ever
BTW, I am sort of amazed that any CEO has time to address grey market/black market fraud like Peter Z did in this case. I know Andrew already publicly thanked him, but that’s pretty exceptional, and I just wanted to call attention to it since that’s one of the big things that stands out for me here.

Can you imagine if Chevy stepped in when your cousin bought a ’75 Camaro from a guy in the paper, and found out that it WASN’T REALLY a brand-new water pump in there? Never happen.

But Z is nice enough to smooth ruffled feathers for us, because we’re his cwaziest customers, and I’m getting all emotional about it.

is pretty cool that hes going to change the labels to help prevent the fraud, but i mean.. its kind of his fault for only writing on the bottles and changing the foil(something anyone can do).. so the comparison you give isn’t quite apples to apples.. not to mention he is a small business who relies on us little guys a wee bit more. It’s also in his best interest to help preserve the quality of the beer he sells.. after all I doubt he really wants fake bottles going around that people will try and think is a waste of money since it tastes exactly like the un-barrel aged version..kinda like the tylenol recall.. wasn’t their fault people were getting poisoned, but they went above and beyond to protect their brand name and consumers confidence in them. I would be more amazed if he didn’t address the issue to be honest..

eclectic
15:58 Wed 10/31/2007

on second read, I should clarify.. that its sad it comes down to this to begin with and i’m sure the reason behind using the same bottles/foil/marker on back instead of a special label was a cost issue, and he never thought someone would do something like this to defraud his customers..

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 16:21 Wed 10/31/2007

I hear ya, but I still think he was being 75% cool guy and 25% responsible businessman for taking the time.

Dough77
beers 822 º places 7 º 16:43 Wed 10/31/2007

Hmm, I have somebody sending me five bottles (2,2,1 as they were released) by the end of the week. I knows he’s good for em, but....gets me wondering. Hope they’re the real deal, at least I haven’t paid him for em yet, so I can always send em back. Any word yet on what the real story is?

sprinkle
beers 114 º places 2 º 18:14 Wed 10/31/2007

Details.....details.....details?????

emacgee
beers 5275 º places 63 º 18:20 Wed 10/31/2007

Yeah, I just read all friggin 9 pages of this topic only to get to the end and NOT find out who the person was....like a bad mystery novel.

eclectic
18:45 Wed 10/31/2007

Originally posted by emacgee
Yeah, I just read all friggin 9 pages of this topic only to get to the end and NOT find out who the person was....like a bad mystery novel.

To be continued..