College Football Thread 2012

Reads 88319 • Replies 1163 • Started Sunday, March 4, 2012 6:50:38 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

MlhopeTC
places 20 º 21:22 Fri 4/20/2012

Originally posted by Guyute_Pig
Have you guys seen the video footage of Petrino’s accident? Pork Chop

That is absolutely hilarious, hahaha, thanks for that.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 22:29 Sat 4/21/2012

Grabbed our 4th today.. 1 Rivals 4*.. and 2 5.7s (Potential to be 4*s in their Sr seasons easily).. so far.. I’m a happy man.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 06:29 Mon 4/23/2012

5th recruit committed (Before the end of Apr!).. is it just me or does recruiting take off earlier and earlier now?

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 09:48 Mon 4/23/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum
5th recruit committed (Before the end of Apr!).. is it just me or does recruiting take off earlier and earlier now?

Much earlier.

We had our first commit the day after signing day. That 4-Star O-Lineman that flipped to Ohio State. That’s about as early as it gets. Marcell Lazard committing this weekend took the sting out of that one.

I was thinking about it and basically, with there being basically no in-state talent, almost every single kid who plays for WVU has to move far away from home to do it and usually makes his decision based on one visit to Morgantown.

Consider: A small slice of the 2012 high school talent distribution according to rivals.com.

State of Alabama - 5-Star athletes = 2; 4-Star athletes = 10

State of Texas - 5-Star athletes = 4; 4-Star athletes = 35

State of Florida - 5-Star athletes = 6; 4-Star athletes = 38

State of California - 5-Star athletes = 5; 4-Star athletes = 42

State of WEST VIRGINIA - 5-Star athletes = 0; 4-Star athletes = 0

OK, fine. I’m not giving up on West Virginia. 3-Star athletes = 0

Oh, no, Rivals, you’re not getting off THAT easy...

2-Star athletes graduating from high school within the state of West Virginia in 2012 = 8

Ya think our recruiters don’t have their work cut out for them each and every year?

mgumby10
beers 1856 º places 47 º 17:04 Mon 4/23/2012

Originally posted by hopscotch

Much earlier.

We had our first commit the day after signing day. That 4-Star O-Lineman that flipped to Ohio State. That’s about as early as it gets. Marcell Lazard committing this weekend took the sting out of that one.

I was thinking about it and basically, with there being basically no in-state talent, almost every single kid who plays for WVU has to move far away from home to do it and usually makes his decision based on one visit to Morgantown.

Consider: A small slice of the 2012 high school talent distribution according to rivals.com.

2-Star athletes graduating from high school within the state of West Virginia in 2012 = 8

Ya think our recruiters don’t have their work cut out for them each and every year?

Very true, you have no in-state talent.

Your one big equalizer is you can get kids into school that alot of other schools cant. Not a dig at WVU, I could give a shit about admission standards. I wish Miami’s were lower, we’d lose less kids every year if they were. You can come into South florida, where alot of kids have grade issues, and promise them they can get in (See Ivan McCartney, Noel Devine, etc.). Some kids dont want to go the prep school route to play for their first choice. WVU takes advantage of this, and they definite;y should. Louisville is starting to do the same thing. Its smart.

Im not saying this is the only reason you get kids from South Florida and other places, because it certianly isnt, but it definitely helps in some cases.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 14:34 Mon 4/30/2012

Originally posted by mgumby10
Originally posted by hopscotch

Much earlier.

Very true, you have no in-state talent.

Your one big equalizer is you can get kids into school that alot of other schools cant. Not a dig at WVU, I could give a shit about admission standards. I wish Miami’s were lower, we’d lose less kids every year if they were. You can come into South florida, where alot of kids have grade issues, and promise them they can get in (See Ivan McCartney, Noel Devine, etc.). Some kids dont want to go the prep school route to play for their first choice. WVU takes advantage of this, and they definite;y should. Louisville is starting to do the same thing. Its smart.

Im not saying this is the only reason you get kids from South Florida and other places, because it certianly isnt, but it definitely helps in some cases.

No doubting it and a lot of SEC schools are rowing the same boat. However, the Big East has one rule that has cost us a lot of scholarship athletes. That rule is basically, if a kid enrolls, but ends up not qualifying, he can never ever enroll and play for that school again. Ever. I don’t think there’s a rule like that in the Big XXII... thank God. I cannot count on two hands the number of 4-Star recruits that we lost forever because they enrolled and failed to qualify... even by a tenth of a point.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 14:42 Mon 4/30/2012

So, a year and a half later, it really looks like that UCF win over a lowly, unmotivated Georgia team was a real turning point in their football program’s history.

LOL!

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 14:45 Mon 4/30/2012

WVU 70 Clemson 33

Hmmm? I wonder how UCF would have fared in that one.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 15:16 Mon 4/30/2012

...and the team from Florida with the first player drafted to the NFL???

Damn right.

Perennial underachievers from WVA talking trash? Please. Too many shared championships makes you think beating Clemson is some kind of feat. Good thing the new BIG E will have a championship game soon UCF can win the new, more powerful, conference outright while WVA continues their underachieving ways against some actual competition. You tucked your yellow tails just in time to avoid the new BIG E!

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 18:42 Tue 5/1/2012

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
...and the team from Florida with the first player drafted to the NFL???

Damn right.

Perennial underachievers from WVA talking trash? Please. Too many shared championships makes you think beating Clemson is some kind of feat. Good thing the new BIG E will have a championship game soon UCF can win the new, more powerful, conference outright while WVA continues their underachieving ways against some actual competition. You tucked your yellow tails just in time to avoid the new BIG E!

I just want a UCF win in week 2.