College Football Thread 2012

Reads 88408 • Replies 1163 • Started Sunday, March 4, 2012 6:50:38 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 08:31 Thu 8/16/2012

Originally posted by hopscotch
Originally posted by TheCheeseMan
Originally posted by TheCheeseMan
Originally posted by TheAlum
You know better than to ever use a Scout or ESPN evaluation score, Cheese.

Furthermore, you know Rivals is the best.

I don’t ever use ESPN, but yeah, I take what I can get.

espn does very little of their own recruiting shit. It’s just something they offer so they can say they offer "everything."

I think espn pulls 99.9% of their recruit ranking information from 24/7. I’m pretty sure 24/7 won the contract with them. I could be wrong.

If I had the time, I’d google it or at least compare the espn top 150 with the other sites’ top 150s. You’d find a match there somewhere. Somebody is under contract with those ass clowns.

Then clearly, we received a commitment from a 3* O-lineman today.

If you’re talking about Jake Thomas, then yes you did. He’s a high 3* too. Rivals rating = 5.7 = borderline 4*. MSU has a couple more of those too. Also a couple damn-close-to-borderline 5* kids. Mullen and his staff are doing a bang-up job this year.

Hey Jj - Jake Thomas had a choice between a C-USA school and an SEC school.

Guess which one he picked!

Guess how long it took him to decide!

Like two fucking seconds!

C-USA = Poor man’s Big Least

Yup. None of our commits have BCS offers. None.

I think you had a little too much moonshine and consensual incest while you were up in WVA.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 08:43 Thu 8/16/2012

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
Oh, and I now reserve the right to refer to the Big East as the Big Least because it ran it’s best football school off to the Big XII and ran the only other two - that anyone cares about - off to the ACC, because it wanted to replace them with San Diego State, Navy, Memphis, Central Florida, Houston and SMU.

Oh, I forgot Temple, because, well, Temple is forgettable.

So now the Big East Football Conference consists of Boise State (every-single-fan-lives-in-Idaho), San Diego State (basketball school & like, yeah, they really fit in here), Navy (Roger Staubach played there), Memphis (basketball school), Houston (June Jones coached there), SMU (June Jones coaches there), Louiville (gonna leave, so who cares?), UCONN (they suck, but they’re still gonna bolt), South Florida (when you think of Tampa, you think of cigars, Ybor City, Mons Venus, Cuban sandwiches, Cigar City Brewing and then maybe USF... or maybe not), Cincinnati (basketball school), Temple (they were already booted out of the conference once... going for twice?) and UCF (every-single-fan-is-named-Jj-and-Bryan). Did I forget anyone? Who knows? Who cares?

Enjoy that $6.4 million/year payday, Jj !

...and somehow the new BigE has more BCS points, all of a sudden.

$15-$20 Million. We have the right people in here, now. Got rid of a lot of dead weight.

Keep telling yourself that.

I don’t see Harrold backing you up on that.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 08:48 Thu 8/16/2012

As far as 247sports: I don’t think they are bad.

They have some nice features and seem to be updated VERY quickly, especially their timelines for individual kids. Which, is very useful.

Their new Composite Score could be really cool going forward.

But, sometimes I think they push evaluations out too fast on kids just to say they were the first to evaluate them.

I certainly value 247.. 2nd best recruiting service/evaluation service in my opinion. But I’d like to see them mature a bit more. Rivals may be a bit slower with evaluating late bloomers or kids in areas that aren’t as covered (For example: We have a kid that will be a 5.7-5.8 once evaluated in Trevon Young - 247 evaluated him to a 4*) as much, but I think their evaluations, because they lump kids together more.. into pools as opposed to trying to rank everyone in order on a 100 point scale and breaking it down even further.. are the best.

I also think Rivals is slow to update their rankings. We have a 5.7 Delano Hill that was bumped after a camp this summer on 247 to 4* status. No movement yet on Rivals. But, I imagine into the fall, their update will hit.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 08:51 Thu 8/16/2012

All I’m trying to say is that I value Rivals and their staff the most.

However, I’ve found it very useful to use both sites for their strengths the last couple years.

I ignore Scout entirely unless their Iowa guy has a free article.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 08:55 Thu 8/16/2012

Oh, and I now reserve the right to refer to the Big East as the Big Least because it ran it’s best football school off to the Big XII and ran the only other two - that anyone cares about - off to the ACC, because it wanted to replace them with San Diego State, Navy, Memphis, Central Florida, Houston and SMU.

Oh, I forgot Temple, because, well, Temple is forgettable.

So now the Big East Football Conference consists of Boise State (every-single-fan-lives-in-Idaho), San Diego State (basketball school & like, yeah, they really fit in here), Navy (Roger Staubach played there), Memphis (basketball school), Houston (June Jones coached there), SMU (June Jones coaches there), Louiville (gonna leave, so who cares?), UCONN (they suck, but they’re still gonna bolt), South Florida (when you think of Tampa, you think of cigars, Ybor City, Mons Venus, Cuban sandwiches, Cigar City Brewing and then maybe USF... or maybe not), Cincinnati (basketball school), Temple (they were already booted out of the conference once... going for twice?) and UCF (every-single-fan-is-named-Jj-and-Bryan). Did I forget anyone? Who knows? Who cares?

Enjoy that $6.4 million/year payday, Jj !

...and somehow the new BigE has more BCS points, all of a sudden.

$15-$20 Million. We have the right people in here, now. Got rid of a lot of dead weight.

Got rid of dead weight and added bigger corpses. Face it J, the Big Least is perfect for UCF, shitty, irrelevant and relegated to the second tier.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 08:55 Thu 8/16/2012

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/college-footballs-top-25-toughest-places-play-204600964--ncaaf.html

Michigan State and Missouri’s stadium are not intimidating.

I don’t know how they made this list.

Me and Starnes are neighbors on the list!

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 09:02 Thu 8/16/2012

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/college-footballs-top-25-toughest-places-play-204600964--ncaaf.html

Michigan State and Missouri’s stadium are not intimidating.

I don’t know how they made this list.

Me and Starnes are neighbors on the list!

Virginia???

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 09:24 Thu 8/16/2012

However, I’ve found it very useful to use both sites for their strengths the last couple years.

Rivals has even slipped a bit in recent years. I’m not sure how much analysis is really going on over there, and if they don’t just give stars based on offers.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 09:58 Thu 8/16/2012

Rivals has even slipped a bit in recent years. I’m not sure how much analysis is really going on over there, and if they don’t just give stars based on offers.

This... sometimes.

Sketchy that a kid will have no Rivals evaluation one day and then a week later, he has several offers from major programs and all of a sudden, BAM! 3.7 - 3* ... unless ’Bama or Southern Cal offers. Then, all of a sudden he’s a 3.9 - 4*.

These services have limited staff and travel budgets, so they can’t be everywhere, which is why these services simply provide entertainment for us, the college football geeks. I would imagine the head coaches don’t even pay attention to them.

Programs pay very good money for the evaluations of several independent contractor scouts that work very small regions.

High school coaches definitely have their ear as well.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 10:05 Thu 8/16/2012

Stony Brook? Seriously?