College Football Thread 2011 (Actual Season!)

Reads 227570 • Replies 3132 • Started Monday, August 1, 2011 6:47:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

BBB63
beers 6567 º places 146 º 19:14 Mon 10/10/2011

Originally posted by TheAlum
Originally posted by GodOfThunder
The Big 12 thing is certainly wishful thinking, but there has been talk about it. This whole thing is about markets, and both Orlando and Tampa are huge, and still growing. Both schools are enormous, and still growing. Both fanbases have room to grow, and are still growing. Schools like to recruit in Florida. Schools like to visit Florida. It brings in travel partners for smaller sports, and a huge rivalry. If the Big 12 did it, they would be betting on the future of both schools versus more established schools like Louisville and Cincy.

Cincy is small potatoes. I can see them being left out. I think Louisville is a prime target for the Big 12 though, especially if Mizzou leaves (which as everyone here has agreed - they need to if they get ANY chance)

agreed

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 07:32 Tue 10/11/2011

Boston Globe, and other sources, are reporting the Big Least has contacted UCF today, and an invitation is imminent.

Of course, we will accept, but we’ll need to keep our fingers crossed that the league survives. Of course, I will be happy with BCS money. But, as I have said, the league is a joke and their leadership is a bunch of morons.

Rumors are Navy, Temple, and possibly Army, Air Force, ECU, SMU, and/or Houston are coming in the future. They have also promised to go to 12. If they hit 12, good.

But, the Big 12 will come poaching soon. In that case, they’ll take UCF and USF.

Apparently, Air Force turned down the Big Twelve’s recent informal invitation. They can’t really recruit with the Texas schools. They probably made the right decision. I haven’t verified this, so let’s just call it a rumor.

But, UCF and USF to the Big Twelve?

It just doesn’t make any sense. It doesn’t seem to be a good fit. I’ve heard nothing about UCF and USF to the Big Twelve. Not three weeks ago when you claimed there would be an announcement that UCF was joining the Big Twelve within seven days... and not now. I’m not saying you’re not reading it, but where are you reading this stuff? The UCF message boards?

Anything is possible, I guess. I’ll let you know if I hear anything more than the possibility of Louisville or WVU or both to the Big Twelve. Again, I don’t really care where teams end up, I’m just a WVU fan. Have been since they were independent in football and playing in the A-10 in all other sports.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 07:46 Tue 10/11/2011

Originally posted by hopscotch
Boston Globe, and other sources, are reporting the Big Least has contacted UCF today, and an invitation is imminent.

Of course, we will accept, but we’ll need to keep our fingers crossed that the league survives. Of course, I will be happy with BCS money. But, as I have said, the league is a joke and their leadership is a bunch of morons.

Rumors are Navy, Temple, and possibly Army, Air Force, ECU, SMU, and/or Houston are coming in the future. They have also promised to go to 12. If they hit 12, good.

But, the Big 12 will come poaching soon. In that case, they’ll take UCF and USF.

Apparently, Air Force turned down the Big Twelve’s recent informal invitation. They can’t really recruit with the Texas schools. They probably made the right decision. I haven’t verified this, so let’s just call it a rumor.

It just doesn’t make any sense. It doesn’t seem to be a good fit. I’ve heard nothing about UCF and USF to the Big Twelve. Not three weeks ago when you claimed there would be an announcement that UCF was joining the Big Twelve within seven days... and not now. I’m not saying you’re not reading it, but where are you reading this stuff? The UCF message boards?

Anything is possible, I guess. I’ll let you know if I hear anything more than the possibility of Louisville or WVU or both to the Big Twelve. Again, I don’t really care where teams end up, I’m just a WVU fan. Have been since they were independent in football and playing in the A-10 in all other sports.

There were a couple of articles in the Sentinel from Mike Bianchi throwing this idea out there. It makes zero sense. The constant rationale is the size of the Orlando/Tampa markets, those markets are already owned by UF/FSU, I just don’t see the Big 12 going after schools that offer potential, when they could grab an established program.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 08:09 Tue 10/11/2011

Big East money isn’t very good, though.

I keep telling him that, but he won’t listen to reason. However, it would give UCF the chance to get an automatic bid to a BCS bowl for the next couple of years. Of course, they would have to actually beat a Big East team first. Ummm... I’d love to have a few new schools to drop 50 points on in football and to destroy in basketball.

Just kidding, Jj... but really I’m not.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 10:55 Tue 10/11/2011

Big East money isn’t very good, though.

I keep telling him that, but he won’t listen to reason. However, it would give UCF the chance to get an automatic bid to a BCS bowl for the next couple of years. Of course, they would have to actually beat a Big East team first. Ummm... I’d love to have a few new schools to drop 50 points on in football and to destroy in basketball.

Just kidding, Jj... but really I’m not.

Big East money is a lot better than CUSA money... especially if the conference can get some sort of stabilization and sign a new TV contract.

OrlGamecock
10:56 Tue 10/11/2011

Stephen Garcia is no longer a Gamecock... What a waste

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 10:59 Tue 10/11/2011

Originally posted by TheCheeseMan

There were a couple of articles in the Sentinel from Mike Bianchi throwing this idea out there. It makes zero sense. The constant rationale is the size of the Orlando/Tampa markets, those markets are already owned by UF/FSU, I just don’t see the Big 12 going after schools that offer potential, when they could grab an established program.

Carrying the markets is irrelevant. They just want to get the Big 12 Channel, or whatever, onto the televisions in that market. With that being the goal, UCF and USF bring both markets, and possibly even enough for Jax and Miami.

I still think Louisville and WVA are the first choice, but I’m confident the pair of UCF and USF would be next. If the Big 12 wants to take a risk, we could pull ahead.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 12:52 Tue 10/11/2011

It really is funny how Spurrier looked the other way every day before.. and now that Garcia isn’t up to snuff, dropped just like that. Shady mf’er, that Steve Spurrier

OrlGamecock
13:04 Tue 10/11/2011

It really is funny how Spurrier looked the other way every day before.. and now that Garcia isn’t up to snuff, dropped just like that. Shady mf’er, that Steve Spurrier

Garcia failed a drug test while on probation this time. Spurrier would have been done with him if that happened at any point in his career.

Spurrier’s first act when he took over as coach was to kick Demetrius Summers (a top 10 recruit) off the team for failing a drug test. Their are things he puts up with and things he won’t.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 13:38 Tue 10/11/2011

Originally posted by OrlGamecock

Garcia failed a drug test while on probation this time. Spurrier would have been done with him if that happened at any point in his career.

Spurrier’s first act when he took over as coach was to kick Demetrius Summers (a top 10 recruit) off the team for failing a drug test. Their are things he puts up with and things he won’t.

I don’t buy it, Spurrier was done with Garcia because he found a QB that had a consistent game. Period.