College Football Thread 2011 (Actual Season!)

Reads 227861 • Replies 3132 • Started Monday, August 1, 2011 6:47:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 06:01 Sun 12/4/2011

Originally posted by TheCheeseMan
Originally posted by TheAlum
I was just sure of KSU being picked ahead of a non-AQ this year. Pretty sure the non-AQ’s rules are strict and very limited. TOP 16 seems very loose for them.

On a tangent, I think Ok State deserves the chance. Bama had their chance. They blew it at home. Hope the voters see it that way.. Though they probably won’t (and I hate the Big 12, so it’s just honesty)

So a loss to LSU is worse than a loss to Iowa State? The title game should be between the 2 best teams, there is no doubt that those teams are LSU and Alabama.

You are probably right. I don’t disagree with that.

But, I think the following are legitimate points.

1. Alabama didn’t win their division or conference.

2. Alabama already lost, at home, to LSU.

3. Ok St beat 5 ranked teams, Alabama only 2.

4. Ok State beat 7 bowl eligible teams, Alabama only 3.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 06:02 Sun 12/4/2011

I was just sure of KSU being picked ahead of a non-AQ this year. Pretty sure the non-AQ’s rules are strict and very limited. TOP 16 seems very loose for them.

On a tangent, I think Ok State deserves the chance. Bama had their chance. They blew it at home. Hope the voters see it that way.. Though they probably won’t (and I hate the Big 12, so it’s just honesty)

So a loss to LSU is worse than a loss to Iowa State? The title game should be between the 2 best teams, there is no doubt that those teams are LSU and Alabama.

And I mean "currently" ranked teams here.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 06:02 Sun 12/4/2011

Originally posted by Cajun
Lots of debate as to who should be # 2. OSU coach certainly made his point and of course they would love the opportunity. However, there is NO DEBATE AS TO WHO’S # 1.

I’d prefer LSU vs ’Bama. I think it would be a better game. But I cannot say I really care who lines up in New Orleans.
(RANT)- Yesterday was kind of enlightening as to our fanbase in the 20-something year olds. I got into much discussion with about 5 kids in my living room as to just how spoiled ass rotten they are . The whole SEC entitlement and "anything less than an SEC or National Championship" is a failed season way of thinking really pisses me off. I’m grateful and appreciative of the kind of seasons we’ve had in the last decade and I’m trying to teach my son to understand this. When I was in my 20s I hoped for a 8-4 season and a Sugar Bowl - THAT was pure gold and it didn’t happen every year. A little heartbreak makes for a better celebration. So now that we have a chance to win it all again it’s old hat? I don’t wish going back to the 3 and 9 days, but a little perspective is needed for some true appreciation of the teams we have now.

As far as the BCSNC.... BRING IT!

Amen!

The younger Mountaineer fans don’t even know what a losing season is like. They gripe, piss and moan about every close game. They go freaking ballistic over a few losses.

Please, when I was in school, we went 4-7 and 5-4-2. Went 3-8 in 2001. I agree that the lean times make you appreciate the good times much, much more.

I’d like to see OSU vs LSU, for what it’s worth. We’ll all find out tonight.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 06:05 Sun 12/4/2011

All good points. Glad you went to the trouble. Working in multiple windows sucks on a phone.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 06:11 Sun 12/4/2011

Winning your division or conference is meaningless in terms of the BCS title game. Not sure what you are calling bowl eligible, but Alabama beat 6 bowl eligible teams. PSU, Arkansas, Florida, Vandy, MSU and Auburn. Plus, Bama beat 4 ranked teams, at the time they played. But more importantly, Bama lost to the #1 team, in OT. OSU lost to Iowa State.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 06:12 Sun 12/4/2011

Originally posted by hopscotch

All good points. Glad you went to the trouble. Working in multiple windows sucks on a phone.

Good game last night, Moultrie was just too much for your guys. I must say, Huggins had the best quote I have seen from a head coach in quite some time.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 06:15 Sun 12/4/2011

Alum, let’s also look at strength of schedule since both teams have 1 loss. Alabama’s SOS of #2, OSU is #9. Both impressive, but it is another plus in the Bama column for me. I just think that UA will give us a better game than OSU, I really have no dog in this fight.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 06:30 Sun 12/4/2011

Winning your division or conference is meaningless in terms of the BCS title game. Not sure what you are calling bowl eligible, but Alabama beat 6 bowl eligible teams. PSU, Arkansas, Florida, Vandy, MSU and Auburn. Plus, Bama beat 4 ranked teams, at the time they played. But more importantly, Bama lost to the #1 team, in OT. OSU lost to Iowa State.

I meant teams with a winning record. My bad.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 06:32 Sun 12/4/2011

I meant teams with a winning record. My bad.

Can we get back to talking about how UCF is so irrelevant that their QB Jj touted as the best in FL seems to be looking to leave the program?

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 06:34 Sun 12/4/2011

Originally posted by OrlGamecock
...You’re not a true fan if you don’t find a way to get to new Orleans for the sugar bowl...

I’ve been to two Sugar Bowls and would love to go to a third, but I’m not gonna lose my house over it.

Been to 9 bowl games and enjoyed every one. Hanging out with a buch of drunk alums and co-eds for three or four days in different cities is a lot of fun, but inevitably there’s the game. You either win or lose. Even if we were guaranteed a win, I wouldn’t fly all the way to New Orleans to see a 3 1/2 hour game, then turn aound and fly home. There was a time when I would do that, but that time has passed.

Nowadays, I have to budget vacation time between one or two actual vacations and a trip up to WV to visit my parents before one of them goes tits up. I prefer it when they come down here so we can save those four or five days for a bowl trip.

Now, if we get a invitation to the Orange Bowl, I’ll hop in the car and make the 2 1/2 hour drive to Miami in a flash. I could take one or two days off from work and have a great time... depending upon which day of the week the Orange Bowl falls on this year. Haven’t checked because it doesn’t matter. I’d make that or any other bowl in Florida happen.