College Football Thread 2011 (Actual Season!)

Reads 227877 • Replies 3132 • Started Monday, August 1, 2011 6:47:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

mgumby10
beers 1856 º places 47 º 16:36 Tue 1/17/2012

Originally posted by mgumby10
Enough with the bickering back and forth, season’s over lets look towards next year. As Ive said before, Im a fan of roster breakdowns, depth charts, projections, etc.

Eric, Cheese, J, Adam, Cajun, Bama guy, Auburn guy, everybody else, give me a little lineup projections, predictions, depth charts, prospectus’s, and such for your teams coming up in 2012.

Starnes, dont be lazy and just copy and paste some article like you did last year. What are your own thoughts about your squad next year?

The U coming up........

QB - Stephen Morris takes over the reigns from Jacory and has all the physical tools to be successful. Mobile, NFL arm, experience. Just needs to improve decision making. Memphis transfer Ryan Williams will push him and prove a capable backup. 3 freshman come in for the future.

RB - Lamar Miller leaving early stings, no denying it. We will more than likely have a RB by committee next year with Mike James, Eduardo Clements, and 5 star freshman Duke Johnson sharing carries. Will be an adequate bunch, but a downgrade from Miller’s explosiveness. Look for Duke to take over midway through season.

WR - We lose a ton. Tommy "Stretch em Out" Streeter, Travis Benjamin, and Laron Byrd, all gone. We return just 4 WR’s from last years squad, lead by Allen Hurns who takes over as the playmaker. Phillip Dorsett was promising as a freshman. We will be relying on some true freshman to step up early and gain some PT. Gonna be a young group here.

TE - We have alot of bodies here, but theres no Kellen Winslow in the bunch. Clive Walford is a decent possession tight end, but nothing more. There is no Jimmy Graham to grab off the basketball squad either. Overall, Tight End U wont be producing a future NFL star for a few years anyway.

OL - The strength of the team. We lose 3 starters, but have such quality and experienced depth it wont hurt us. Seantrel Henderson takes his place as the next great LT, stud guard Brandon Linder returns, new center in Shane McDermott takes over, Jonathan Feliciano moves inside to guard, and massive Malcolm Bunche takes over at RT. Good strong depth behind them as well.

The offense loses its top skill position players from last year in Jacory Harris, Lamar Miller, Travis Benjamin, Tommy Streeter, and Laron Byrd. Gonna be a ton of young guys playing that need to step up. Hopefully with our strong o-line, we can protect Morris and give him time, while opening up some holes for the RB’s. Overall though, I think we lose too much talent on offense to be as good as we were last year.

Defense and special teams coming up.

mgumby10
beers 1856 º places 47 º 16:54 Tue 1/17/2012

Originally posted by mgumby10
Enough with the bickering back and forth, season’s over lets look towards next year. As Ive said before, Im a fan of roster breakdowns, depth charts, projections, etc.

Eric, Cheese, J, Adam, Cajun, Bama guy, Auburn guy, everybody else, give me a little lineup projections, predictions, depth charts, prospectus’s, and such for your teams coming up in 2012.

Starnes, dont be lazy and just copy and paste some article like you did last year. What are your own thoughts about your squad next year?

The U coming up........

DE - Lose a ton. Olivier Vernon, Adewale Ojomo, Marcus Robinson, Andrew Smith, all gone. Anthony Chikillo will return as a starter and looked great as a frosh. Other spot is up for grabs but my guess is Shayon Green. Have a few inexperienced guys and freshman behind them. Depth is a big issue here, its young and inexperienced.

DT - Little better shape here. Lose Marcus Forston and Micanor Regis, but return Curtis Porter and Darius Smith. Have some guys with experience behind them Luther Robinson, Jalen Grimble, and Olsen Pierre. Grimble or Pierre might move back to DE to help our depth there.

LB - Lose the heart and soul of our D Sean Spence. Ramon Buchanon should come back on a medical redshirt and start, Jimmy Gaines returns in the middle and freshamn stud Denzel Perryman takes over as the next great one. We’ve got some bodies behind them, but most of it is young. I think we’ll be ok here this year.

CB - Major issues here. Graduate a couple guys, and only returning guy with experience is Brandon McGee who is serviceable. Not much after him but guys who havent played. Im gonna guess Thomas Finnie is the other starter or possible Juco coming in Ladarius Gunter. Everyone else is freshman or guys who havent played.

S - Both starters come back in Vaughn Telemaque and Ray Ray Armstrong, got a few guys behind them with experience in Kacy Rodgers, and Andrew Swasey. Couple young guys as well. After this year could be ugly, but those guys have a ton of experience and should be solid for us this year.

ST’s - Both punter and kicker come back in Dalton Botts and Jake Wieclaw and both had good years last year so we should be good here. Phillip Dorsett or a freshman will take over as kick returners.

Overall, huge questions on defense as we are so young and lose so many starters and depth guys. Im more concerned on this side of the ball then the offensive side.

When Im being serious with myself I see another 6-6 team here. Al has to get all of Randy’s underachievers out of there, and get his guys in. Its gonna be another rough year Im thinking as I look at our starters and see we lose just too much. Im really looking forward to 2013-2014 when Al changes the culture and coaches up his guys.

Golden Age

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 18:36 Tue 1/17/2012

Little early for breakdowns, let’s get to Spring practice at least. I applaud your enthusiasm... no off season.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 19:10 Tue 1/17/2012

No breakdown yet.

Let’s get through National Signing Day.. a lot of recruitment talk will be going down from here on out through Feb 1st.

SHIG
admin
beers 13087 º places 502 º 04:32 Wed 1/18/2012

I predict that Syracuse will sign 20+ bodies all 3 star and below in football. However do just the opposite signing 5/4 star players to continue dominating in basketball.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 04:56 Wed 1/18/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum
No breakdown yet.

Let’s get through National Signing Day.. a lot of recruitment talk will be going down from here on out through Feb 1st.

This.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 05:48 Wed 1/18/2012

Originally posted by SHIG
I predict that Syracuse will sign 20+ bodies all 3 star and below in football. However do just the opposite signing 5/4 star players to continue dominating in basketball.

You forgot the best part.. both classes will be better than UCF’s class.. you know, the team that JJ says is better than Syracuse?

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 06:01 Wed 1/18/2012

Our recruiting class will be fine. We already had 3 spring enrollees, and had 5 commits this past weekend. After a shitty season, and shitty off season so far, we need more good news. We’re on our third Defensive Coordinator in the last month. But, we finally got some young coaches in, and O’leary is finally getting past hiring old white guys. Now, if we could just get him past recruiting big, slow, white guys. We’re not Iowa!

I thought last year was the season. I really did think we had a chance to go undefeated. We crapped the bed, and Godfrey blew it.

Now, Blake Bortles is looking to be an even better replacement. Only time will tell.

Our running game is going to be disgustingly good. Most of the O-line is back, and hopefully improved. Tay Murray is great. Storm Johnson is going to be a monster, as well.

Defense is a huge question. I don’t even know who is going to be playing linebacker. Our D-line wasn’t impressive last year, and we have the same guys. Our best D-back left early for the NFL. A player leaving early still hurts a team like us. We don’t have that much depth.

Knowing O’Leary’s inconsistent past, we’ll end up winning CUSA in our final year. I’m not holding out too much hope for that, though.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 12:33 Wed 1/18/2012

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
We’re not Iowa!

Truer words have never been spoken.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 06:48 Thu 1/19/2012

Since this is supposedly a basketball thread, now, let’s talk about Ole Miss...

Or, Memphis! Going down to the future BIG E Knights!