College Football Thread 2011 (Actual Season!)

Reads 227578 • Replies 3132 • Started Monday, August 1, 2011 6:47:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 13:41 Tue 10/11/2011

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
Originally posted by TheCheeseMan
Originally posted by hopscotch
Boston Globe, and other sources, are reporting the Big Least has contacted UCF today, and an invitation is imminent.

Of course, we will accept, but we’ll need to keep our fingers crossed that the league survives. Of course, I will be happy with BCS money. But, as I have said, the league is a joke and their leadership is a bunch of morons.

Rumors are Navy, Temple, and possibly Army, Air Force, ECU, SMU, and/or Houston are coming in the future. They have also promised to go to 12. If they hit 12, good.

But, the Big 12 will come poaching soon. In that case, they’ll take UCF and USF.

Apparently, Air Force turned down the Big Twelve’s recent informal invitation. They can’t really recruit with the Texas schools. They probably made the right decision. I haven’t verified this, so let’s just call it a rumor.

But, UCF and USF to the Big Twelve?

It just doesn’t make any sense. It doesn’t seem to be a good fit. I’ve heard nothing about UCF and USF to the Big Twelve. Not three weeks ago when you claimed there would be an announcement that UCF was joining the Big Twelve within seven days... and not now. I’m not saying you’re not reading it, but where are you reading this stuff? The UCF message boards?

Anything is possible, I guess. I’ll let you know if I hear anything more than the possibility of Louisville or WVU or both to the Big Twelve. Again, I don’t really care where teams end up, I’m just a WVU fan. Have been since they were independent in football and playing in the A-10 in all other sports.

There were a couple of articles in the Sentinel from Mike Bianchi throwing this idea out there. It makes zero sense. The constant rationale is the size of the Orlando/Tampa markets, those markets are already owned by UF/FSU, I just don’t see the Big 12 going after schools that offer potential, when they could grab an established program.

Carrying the markets is irrelevant. They just want to get the Big 12 Channel, or whatever, onto the televisions in that market. With that being the goal, UCF and USF bring both markets, and possibly even enough for Jax and Miami.

I still think Louisville and WVA are the first choice, but I’m confident the pair of UCF and USF would be next. If the Big 12 wants to take a risk, we could pull ahead.

You are either missing the point or ignoring it. It is not about the ability of either UCF or USF to own the market, it is realizing that the people watching an FSU or UF game are not going to turn the channel to watch UCF or USF play, and that is the truth. You mentioning offer markets the size of Tampa and Orlando, but be honest, the net gain is minimal at best. If it is all about potential, then SMU and UH are by far more attractive programs to the Big 12. Sit back and pray that the Big East doesn’t lose its BCS affiliation now.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 14:11 Tue 10/11/2011

How are SMU and UH more attractive when the Big 12 already has the ENTIRE state of Texas on lockdown? New markets, Dan. New markets, with enormous schools.

Sometimes I wonder if you or Hopscotch actually think when you type.

When the Big 12 expands again, their decision will come down to Louisville and WVA, or USF and UCF. (BYU could be above all four, though, as there are a lot of mormons out there)

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 14:24 Tue 10/11/2011

It’s actually a bit of a misconception, I believe, that there are 1. A lot of Mormons out there and 2. A lot that care about BYU.

But the league and school have said that BYU is priority #1, I believe.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 15:08 Tue 10/11/2011

C’mon man. Don’t go blasting at me again. If you have questions, I’ll answer the best I can. Of course I "think" when I type. Maybe you’re reading what I type with bias acquired over the past couple of years of everyone telling you how irrelevant UCF is. UCF is irrelevant to everyone here except you and Bryan... and that’s OK. Youngstown State and Marshall were irrelevant to everyone except 1-AA fans back when they were winning 1-AA championships. Who cares? West Virginia was irrelevant when they were an independent until they went undefeated a couple times and played for national titles on the 1-A level. Miami was totally irrelevant until 1980. That’s OK. Who cares. No school is irrelevant to its fanbase. UCF stops being irrelevant when they join a BCS conference or they start winning enough quality games to become a BCS buster.
I’ve tried moving away from just outright bashing UCF or any other school because I have nothing to gain by doing it. I mean, just like any other team here, I’ll throw some shit at the alums and fans when they lose an important game or a game they should have won by three touchdowns, but we all do. It’s fun. However, I’ve totally toned down the outright "you suck" kind of shit. I get nothing from it.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 16:07 Tue 10/11/2011

How are SMU and UH more attractive when the Big 12 already has the ENTIRE state of Texas on lockdown? New markets, Dan. New markets, with enormous schools.

When the Big 12 expands again, their decision will come down to Louisville and WVA, or USF and UCF. (BYU could be above all four, though, as there are a lot of mormons out there)

Because the regional rivalries will be renewed J, remember the SWC? UCF and USF offer absolutely nothing of value to the Big 12.

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 16:36 Tue 10/11/2011

Originally posted by OrlGamecock
Originally posted by TheAlum
It really is funny how Spurrier looked the other way every day before.. and now that Garcia isn’t up to snuff, dropped just like that. Shady mf’er, that Steve Spurrier

Garcia failed a drug test while on probation this time. Spurrier would have been done with him if that happened at any point in his career.

Spurrier’s first act when he took over as coach was to kick Demetrius Summers (a top 10 recruit) off the team for failing a drug test. Their are things he puts up with and things he won’t.

I don’t buy it, Spurrier was done with Garcia because he found a QB that had a consistent game. Period.

This. It was ridiculous that guy was still on the team.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 16:59 Tue 10/11/2011

Originally posted by Guyute_Pig
Originally posted by OrlGamecock
Originally posted by TheAlum
It really is funny how Spurrier looked the other way every day before.. and now that Garcia isn’t up to snuff, dropped just like that. Shady mf’er, that Steve Spurrier

Garcia failed a drug test while on probation this time. Spurrier would have been done with him if that happened at any point in his career.

Spurrier’s first act when he took over as coach was to kick Demetrius Summers (a top 10 recruit) off the team for failing a drug test. Their are things he puts up with and things he won’t.

I don’t buy it, Spurrier was done with Garcia because he found a QB that had a consistent game. Period.

This. It was ridiculous that guy was still on the team.

Yeah, I’m not trying to single the Gameocks out here.. But it’s pretty obvious he fell out of favor.. Spurrier has other options. Who is to say he didn’t fail tests in the past that weren’t revealed? Athletic department drug testing is far from on the "straight and narrow". This was a convenient way to get rid of a player who outlived his usefulness, or rather wasn’t needed anymore.

It’s ok though, Orl.. Now that Mr. Garcia is free.. You’ve got ample opportunity to "hook up" with the wild buck.. ;)

mgumby10
beers 1856 º places 47 º 17:01 Tue 10/11/2011

Originally posted by daknole
Only a SC(um)fan living in the past would give a shit about that streak. Move on bud.

Little Brother sounds like he’s pissed his preseason top 5 ranking isnt turning out so good.

FSU...preseason national champs for 25 straight years.

That canes streak is probably the most underapprciated in all of sports if you think how ridiculous it is. If you can put away your Cane hate for a second and think about it as a sports fan, your jaw drops.

Save all the Miami sucks, we’re gonna get hammered by the NCAA, etc. Its already been said numerous times, and its all true.

You’ll still always be little brother to us though. 5>2

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 22:36 Tue 10/11/2011

First I’ve heard of a couple of rumors on here, and I’ve been obsessively gobbling realignment rumors for weeks now. So please take my blunt statements of fact as reasonably educated opinions that are nothing more than that.

The Big 12 is not going after regional Florida schools. No way. The conference is looking to keep it regional per Texas’ wishes, and the conference generally does what Texas wishes. The UCF/USF thing is totally out of left field and I wouldn’t put any stock in it.

Neither has the conference offered anything to Air Force, yet. That rumor about Air Force turning the Big 12 invite down just sort of smacks of fantasy. AF is rarely even mentioned among Big 12 expansion candidates.

One I read that sounds downright possible: BYU was the first choice but turned the Big 12 down, for now anyway, so TCU got the nod. It’s the only reason I can think of why TCU would come before BYU. Possibly BYU just didn’t like the lay of the land re concessions from Texas and commitment to stability (i.e. UT and OU have committed to giving up media rights for six years while Missouri wanted commitments of 10 years or longer. Now why do you suppose they would do that?) Maybe BYU is waiting for Missouri to make up its mind and see how the landscape changes... meanwhile the Big 12 needed some good press pronto and TCU wasn’t quite so choosy.

I feel bad for WVU in all this. A solid athletic program that deserves better than to be sitting on thumbs waiting for all this to play out.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 06:28 Wed 10/12/2011

Texas doesn’t want to come into Florida, because they know the other teams have more to gain by recruiting Florida. I’ve read that Oklahoma is actually in favor of the idea, as they are already making progress recruiting Florida, and would like to recruit there even more. The smaller schools like K. state also want to enter Florida.

As for WVU, they made their own bed by allowing the Big Least to wallow away with 8 schools, with all the power given to worthless basketball schools. Abysmal academics, and rampant incest, hasn’t helped them much, either.