College Football Thread 2011 (Actual Season!)

Reads 227568 • Replies 3132 • Started Monday, August 1, 2011 6:47:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 12:42 Mon 12/5/2011

Originally posted by beernovice39
Originally posted by OrlGamecock
Originally posted by hopscotch
Ok, so the wife and I aren’t going to Asheville next year so we can spend about five days in South Beach partying before and after the Orange Bowl... win or lose. Always a good time in South Beach and a short drive. WVU going to the Orange Bowl and the Honey Badger don’t care.

BTW: Stupid or not, isn’t it obvious that LSU players dying their hair yellow is not a cajun thing; it’s because LSU’s colors are yellow and purple? Like WVU (old gold) and Michigan (maize), LSU might not call it yellow, but it’s yellow nonetheless.

Big story with the Orange Bowl that may or may not be brought up is that Taj Boyd was committed to WVU and then Bill Stewart got sick of his meddling father and brought in a second 4-star QB in that class. That second QB was Geno Smith. Taj decommitted the next day. Interesting personal rivalry.

Clemson is horrible... You guys better destroy them.

+1 WVU my new 2nd favorite team!!!

At least for that one day, right Cocks?

I hope we make a good showing.

I’m praying that a month of rest will get everyone healthy and revved back up. Our receiving corps and offensive and defensive lines were way too thin to keep the kids rested for that final three game stretch against Pitt, Cincy and USF. Laugh at those teams all you want (and deservedly so), but for WVU that’s a tough stretch of games to end the season. They are our top rivals, so the games were emotional and we weren’t deep enough for adequate rotation... especially at receiver. In a spread-’em- out-and-snap-the-ball-quick offense with three to five receivers running routes on every play, that’s a killer. Stedman Bailey had to be dragged off the field by his teammates after snagging that 25-yard reception to put us in last second field goal range on Thursday against USF.

So anyway, we’ll have a good time in Miami regardless, but I hope we don’t lay an egg. I just want a good, exciting game... or a WVU blowout. I’ll take either.

Did I mention that I hate purple and orange?

OrlGamecock
12:44 Mon 12/5/2011

Originally posted by beernovice39
Originally posted by OrlGamecock
Ok, so the wife and I aren’t going to Asheville next year so we can spend about five days in South Beach partying before and after the Orange Bowl... win or lose. Always a good time in South Beach and a short drive. WVU going to the Orange Bowl and the Honey Badger don’t care.

BTW: Stupid or not, isn’t it obvious that LSU players dying their hair yellow is not a cajun thing; it’s because LSU’s colors are yellow and purple? Like WVU (old gold) and Michigan (maize), LSU might not call it yellow, but it’s yellow nonetheless.

Big story with the Orange Bowl that may or may not be brought up is that Taj Boyd was committed to WVU and then Bill Stewart got sick of his meddling father and brought in a second 4-star QB in that class. That second QB was Geno Smith. Taj decommitted the next day. Interesting personal rivalry.

Clemson is horrible... You guys better destroy them.

+1 WVU my new 2nd favorite team!!!

At least for that one day, right Cocks?

I hope we make a good showing.

I’m praying that a month of rest will get everyone healthy and revved back up. Our receiving corps and offensive and defensive lines were way too thin to keep the kids rested for that final three game stretch against Pitt, Cincy and USF. Laugh at those teams all you want, but for WVU

Did you see what we did to them... 150 yards of offense them. You guys blitz and you win.

beernovice39
beers 3269 º places 250 º 12:51 Mon 12/5/2011

Anyone up for dinner Tuesday night 12/13 before cheese picks up my tab at RLRL? I like Thai or Mexican etc. I hope to be in town by 5 at the latest.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 14:17 Mon 12/5/2011

Originally posted by TheAlum
What else have I been wrong about? I put Eric over my knee and spanked him silly in front of everyone a couple days ago. That’s a situation where I proved him wrong. And he knew it. What are you proving here? How am I wrong? I’m certainly not disputing the fact that Nick Saban said what was quoted in the article.. but how does that article prove me wrong?

Furthermore, what else was I wrong about?

SEC Cheerleader at it again.. If you had anything to talk about in regards to your team.. maybe we could get you to talk about football.. alas.. You sit here, one notch above JJ..

Dude, you didn’t prove me wrong. I said Iowa’s mediocre program would struggle in the Big East and I’m standing by it. I simply got sick and tired of your going on and on and on and on about it like a freaking little bitch. Constantly inserting misplaced objective information regarding WVU’s record against other Big Ten schools (past and present) into your argument that Iowa wouldn’t struggle. WVU’s record against every school other than Iowa has nothing to do with my belief that Iowa would struggle in the Big East. Iowa being 6-4 all time and averaging a 6-2 record per year against Big East teams over the past five years is all I neeeded to convince me. Thank you for that. With the exception of this season, 6-2 has been good enough to tie for a Big East championship, but not good enough to get WVU the BCS nod. If your not dominating a conference, you’re struggling in that conference. It’s one or the other. WVU is proof positive. Our past four years have been down years, admittedly; but we’ve still won nine games each season. How about Iowa? How many Iowa games are on national TV each year... not including the Big Ten Network? I can’t find them. How often is Iowa even mentioned on national TV or at espncbssportslinefoxsports.com? How often? We all know the answer to that one, because we all follow college football closely. Suck on that corncob a while.

Case closed for me. I win the argument because I say "I win the argument" and because there’s nothing you can say to convince me that Iowa would dominate the Big East year in and year out. Big-time thanks to Minnesota and Iowa State for that... and to Iowa for not winning a conference championship since when? Really? Since when? I’m not looking that up. It’s been a looong time and that’s all I need to know, because Iowa is a total nonfactor and pretty much everyone outside the state of Iowa knows it. Hell, they even know it in Ames.

If you want to argue with someone nonstop for the rest of eternity, go get yourself a wife, have seven kids together and then get a nasty divorce. There you go; someone to argue with forFREAKINGever!

The day you bend ME over YOUR knee will NEVER EVER come.

And just a modest bit of advice. You might want to shut your pie hole when it comes to your obviously elitest attitude regarding your Big Ten/Children of the Corn education. There is not one single person in this thread that you have not taken a shot at, either directly or indirectly, regarding their inferior IQ and non-Big Ten education. It’s not cool. Your not making any friends and it has absolutely nothing to do with college athletics.

Oh, I totally forgot something...
Corn.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 14:19 Mon 12/5/2011

Oh, and my smartphone is better than your smartphone. I just re-built the Great Wall of freaking China with mine.

mgumby10
beers 1856 º places 47 º 17:17 Mon 12/5/2011

What else have I been wrong about? I put Eric over my knee and spanked him silly in front of everyone a couple days ago. That’s a situation where I proved him wrong. And he knew it. What are you proving here? How am I wrong? I’m certainly not disputing the fact that Nick Saban said what was quoted in the article.. but how does that article prove me wrong?

Furthermore, what else was I wrong about?

SEC Cheerleader at it again.. If you had anything to talk about in regards to your team.. maybe we could get you to talk about football.. alas.. You sit here, one notch above JJ..

Dude, you didn’t prove me wrong. I said Iowa’s mediocre program would struggle in the Big East and I’m standing by it. I simply got sick and tired of your going on and on and on and on about it like a freaking little bitch. Constantly inserting misplaced objective information regarding WVU’s record against other Big Ten schools (past and present) into your argument that Iowa wouldn’t struggle. WVU’s record against every school other than Iowa has nothing to do with my belief that Iowa would struggle in the Big East. Iowa being 6-4 all time and averaging a 6-2 record per year against Big East teams over the past five years is all I neeeded to convince me. Thank you for that. With the exception of this season, 6-2 has been good enough to tie for a Big East championship, but not good enough to get WVU the BCS nod. If your not dominating a conference, you’re struggling in that conference. It’s one or the other. WVU is proof positive. Our past four years have been down years, admittedly; but we’ve still won nine games each season. How about Iowa? How many Iowa games are on national TV each year... not including the Big Ten Network? I can’t find them. How often is Iowa even mentioned on national TV or at espncbssportslinefoxsports.com? How often? We all know the answer to that one, because we all follow college football closely. Suck on that corncob a while.

Case closed for me. I win the argument because I say "I win the argument" and because there’s nothing you can say to convince me that Iowa would dominate the Big East year in and year out. Big-time thanks to Minnesota and Iowa State for that... and to Iowa for not winning a conference championship since when? Really? Since when? I’m not looking that up. It’s been a looong time and that’s all I need to know, because Iowa is a total nonfactor and pretty much everyone outside the state of Iowa knows it. Hell, they even know it in Ames.

If you want to argue with someone nonstop for the rest of eternity, go get yourself a wife, have seven kids together and then get a nasty divorce. There you go; someone to argue with forFREAKINGever!

The day you bend ME over YOUR knee will NEVER EVER come.

And just a modest bit of advice. You might want to shut your pie hole when it comes to your obviously elitest attitude regarding your Big Ten/Children of the Corn education. There is not one single person in this thread that you have not taken a shot at, either directly or indirectly, regarding their inferior IQ and non-Big Ten education. It’s not cool. Your not making any friends and it has absolutely nothing to do with college athletics.

Oh, I totally forgot something...
Corn.

Starnes doin work!

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 17:28 Mon 12/5/2011

He’s wrong and he knows it. Haven’t seen anyone else agree with you. Only seen other people agree with me. Deal with it.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 17:52 Mon 12/5/2011

He’s wrong and he knows it. Haven’t seen anyone else agree with you. Only seen other people agree with me. Deal with it.

Agreed with you about your statements to Hopscotch? I must have missed that.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 17:55 Mon 12/5/2011

Then again, it obviously bothers you if you took the time to write that much.. most of which is 1. False and 2. Desperate.

A good many regular posters in the thread don’t have a conference title (2004) more recently than Iowa..

And we should probably be given that 2009 title too.. ya know, with all the vacated Ohio State games from that year and rampant cheating/infraction there and all..

PS - If you have a problem with me talking shit about your school, do something about it. Throw it back. I mean, for Christ sakes, you didn’t even go to WVU did you Eric? So why would talking shit about the education there even bother you? I’ve got plenty of friends in the thread, evident by the messaging that goes on behind the scenes and people literally asking me if I can come down for a thread meet up. Facts are facts. I’m sorry you don’t like them. For example, Cheese throws it right back at me.. and then messages me to talk shit about JJ at the same time.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 17:55 Mon 12/5/2011

Either way, back on task.. I’m a little wary of my own bowl game. With no one wanting Penn State (9-3), Iowa rose up the ladder way too far for a rebuilding year.. biggest initial spread out of Vegas. Compelling match-up with Bobby though

And it appears Miami offered 4-Star Greg Garmon today, whose had Iowa as his #1 for a couple months now after several visits. We’ll see what becomes of that.