College Football Thread 2011 (Actual Season!)

Reads 227673 • Replies 3132 • Started Monday, August 1, 2011 6:47:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 00:18 Fri 1/6/2012

Originally posted by jzzbassman
SEC SEC SEC

I know you’re trying to be funny here, but you’re bordering on major Muppet-hood.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 00:19 Fri 1/6/2012

Caffeine, baby, caffeine!

On another note, it look’s like Jeff Casteel is going to accept the DC job out in Arizona on Rich Rod’s staff. Fearing that I’ll sound like I’m sour-graping, I really don’t mind this development. Casteel can take that 3-3-5, nickel package defense and get the heck out of town. It’s difficult to recruit defensive linemen for that scheme and Casteel’s way too conservative at times.

I’d love to get either Randy Shannon or Ron Zook. Both are terrible head coaches, but great DCs. We’ll probably end up with Houston’s defensive coordinator and an entirely new defensive staff. There will be some issues with our current commits, but that’s ok. I’m looking forward to going with either a 3-4 or a 4-3 and getting some big, beefy guys up there on our defensive line. Whoever we get, it shouldn’t be a step down. Who wouldn’t want to come and break in a new system when they know the offense is gonna score enough points to make the transition a whole lot less rocky?

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 00:24 Fri 1/6/2012

OH but I forgot, WVU probably just beat themselves LOL

Come on, Monte. WVU doesn’t have nearly the roster that LSU or ’Bama has. Not nearly the depth. I’m not delusional and based on the final score of the LSU/WVU game, I’m about as humble as one can be and still point out that WVU was able to move the ball more effectively against LSU than against Clemson. We just couldn’t punch it in. Ultimately, Geno Smith was able to pass more effectively against LSU than against Clemson (463 yards vs 401 yards); WVU was able to gain almost as many yards against LSU as they did against Clemson (533 vs 589) and WVU was able to notch almost as many first downs against LSU as against Clemson (28 vs 31). If you actually watched the games, both hinged on one big play that broke the losing team’s back. The LSU kickoff return for a touchdown when WVU had pulled within seven points late in the third quarter and WVU’s 99 yard fumble return for a touchdown when Clemson was about to punch it in to take the lead in the second quarter.

No one needs to remind me of the final score of that WVU/LSU game, just as I don’t have to remind Clemson fans of the final score in the Orange Bowl. However, LSU got WVU very early in the season with an entirely new offensive staff and offensive playbook. The WVU defense also hadn’t had a chance to come together after losing eight players from last year’s top 5 defense. LSU got us at just the right time. Too many mistakes, too many untimely penalties on our part (10 for 73 yards against LSU vs 4 for 40 yards against Clemson) and too many untimely turnovers (4 to LSU vs 1 to Clemson... in garbage time) was WVU’s undoing against LSU. Ain’t a thing anyone can say to make me change my mind about that. I hate math, but numbers don’t lie. Heck, Clemson actually put up more yards against WVU (443) than LSU (366), although I must admit that many of those Clemson yards and thirteen of their points came in absolute garbage time against our second and third stringers.

Two bottom lines here. Firstly (is that even a word?): Although I’m a Nick Saban fan and admire his ingenious defensive mind, great recruiting and being a born and bred West Virginian, his offenses are about as fun to watch as two sloths fucking. Seriously. I listen to Finebaum’s ’Bama callers after a ’Bama loss and I check out the Alabama message boards from time to time. ’Bama fans mostly feel the same way. Secondly: Alabama lost to LSU and so did WVU. A loss is a loss is a loss... we’re even-Steven there. However, I enjoyed watching the WVU/LSU game a lot more than I did the ’Bama/LSU game. C’mon, 295 yards and 6 points... even using up more than 60 minutes to achieve it? Meh. Not for me.

I’m simply saying that I’m not of the three yards and a cloud of dust mentality... and neither are most spectators. If you are... I mean really are... and you aren’t simply painting a brown turd purple, then that’s cool. Enjoy, but I’m personally not entertained by it. Especially, not when I’m watching two teams that I don’t root for. It’s just sort of boring.

... and to the poster you were simply agreeing with: don’t compare the Orange Bowl to the toilet bowl that Baylor and Washington squared off in. Two totally different games. I was embarrassed for both defenses in the Baylor/Washington game. At first, it was fun to watch, but after a while I felt like I was watching an arena football game or the NBA or NHL All Star game. No one could stop anyone... at all. Not even a little bit. It was comical on both sides. In the Orange Bowl, one team dropped 70 points on the other while the loser really could only muster a legitimate 20 points against the winner’s starting defense.

Good luck in the title game.

Fear The Hair!

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 06:17 Fri 1/6/2012

...No one is gonna read that, Eric. No matter how much we like you. TLDR

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 06:27 Fri 1/6/2012

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 07:37 Fri 1/6/2012

Originally posted by TheAlum
...No one is gonna read that, Eric. No matter how much we like you. TLDR

co-sign

jzzbassman
beers 1638 º places 30 º 08:35 Fri 1/6/2012

Did anyone else see this from the Under Armour Bowl? Awkwaaaaaard. http://deadspin.com/5873606/top-football-recruit-makes-college-decision-on-live-television-much-to-his-mothers-visible-displeasure

What did you scroll past my post on it last night

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 09:55 Fri 1/6/2012

Did anyone else see this from the Under Armour Bowl? Awkwaaaaaard. http://deadspin.com/5873606/top-football-recruit-makes-college-decision-on-live-television-much-to-his-mothers-visible-displeasure

I saw it. Old news by now... up all night. Like I said, caffeine, baby, caffeine.

I know few people read my walls, but it’s cathartic for me.
... and I do make some interesting points. Seldom is it an argument or intended to antagonize.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 10:02 Fri 1/6/2012

Ok, if someone doesn’t congratulate me on the ass-whoopin’ WVU laid on Clemson in our third BCS Bowl win in the last six years, I’m gonna pop like a zit and there will be ramifications.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 10:06 Fri 1/6/2012

Yes I did. My apologies.

But, I provided video for all.