College Football Thread 2011 (Actual Season!)

Reads 227865 • Replies 3132 • Started Monday, August 1, 2011 6:47:49 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 05:19 Wed 12/14/2011

Originally posted by Guyute_Pig
I expected Gus to leave, had hoped to get one more year, but why would Gus Malzahn go to Arkansas State? He was offered $3 million to coach Vandy, leveraged that to $1.3 million and highest paid coordinator in country at Auburn, and decides to take over a 50% pay cut at $600k to coach Arky St???

Thanks for the trophies Gus and good luck... what a strange decision.

Is it more telling about the situation at Auburn and the issue surrounding Dyer?

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 05:31 Wed 12/14/2011

...Furthermore, how dumb does Arizona State look right now? (And I do remember we have an ASU follower here).

OrlGamecock
06:03 Wed 12/14/2011

Originally posted by TheAlum
Originally posted by OrlGamecock
Originally posted by mgumby10
Originally posted by TheCheeseMan
Another big time defensive recruit commits to MSU today. Denico Autrey gave the word today. Kid is a beast and was offered by multiple schools and should be an impact player from day one.

Don’t often find 4 star commits on the line that can contribute right away in my experience. They need a year in the program usually to build

Other positions, yes.. but usually red shirt kids unless they are that "Jadeveon Clowney" 5-star shit..

Autry is a JUCO commit and will be ready to contribute bro. Thats what JUCO’s are recruited for, contibuting right away.

He just visted Miami this past weekend, but figured he was a longshot. Good get Cheese.

Put Anthony Chickillo in that "Clowney" category. Kid was a beast on our line as a true frosh.

Do not put that kid in the clowney category... Playing 1/4 of the snaps causing 5 fumbles having 6 sacks and 10 tackles for a loss, as a true frosh. That’s a category of his own. I can’t wait to see that kid as an every down player, with a year of college weight training in him. Superman?

Whoa whoa.. own category? Lol.

It’s definitely not common for DLine frosh to come in and contribute.. but it does happen. Clowney isn’t a unique case.

Kid looked really good this year as a frosh, but it’s not the only time it’s ever happened.

Clowney was in a unique situation, he did not get to play nearly as many snaps as he would have else where (under half the snaps our defense took). He was behind a 1rst team All-American defensive end. His stats are not amazing, but there were points in games where he absolutely dominated and made massive impacts on the game... To the point I would say that we would not have won 2 of our games with out him, UGA and MSU. His stats really do not tell the full story and you really would have to go through and watch the full games to understand how great he really is. I am sure cheese will tell you their were points during that game where it seemed like Clowney was in on every play. We have had our run of defensive ends lately; Eric Norwood, Cliff Mathews, Melvin Ingram, Devin Taylor. And I will say Clowney will look better than all of them next year.

I can not wait to see him with an extra 10-15 lbs on him, and probably no loss of speed after a full year in our strength and conditioning program. He mainly used a speed rush this year, and every once in a while he would be able to bull rush a tackle. Add in more strength and weight and he is going to be unbelievable.

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 06:43 Wed 12/14/2011

I expected Gus to leave, had hoped to get one more year, but why would Gus Malzahn go to Arkansas State? He was offered $3 million to coach Vandy, leveraged that to $1.3 million and highest paid coordinator in country at Auburn, and decides to take over a 50% pay cut at $600k to coach Arky St???

Is it more telling about the situation at Auburn and the issue surrounding Dyer?

Nah. A coach doesn’t leave because of issues with one player, especially one who likely will leave for the NFL after next year. The talent at AU on offense is ridiculous right now. He is following the Mr. Freeze method of becoming a head coach. Who knows, Gus is known for running the no huddle speed O and we have not seen that the past two years. This year it was a snail shit slow pace offense. I really wonder if Gene and him had some differences of opinion.

The wild speculation on Dyer is really dumb. As usual, AU gives out nothing public on why he was suspended. Chizik gave the same speech he always gives when players get suspended, he’ll be back in an AU uniform when he’s done what we’ve asked of him, earned right to wear jersey... blah, blah, blah. It does sound like he has an attitude problem, I think that one one of the things Mrs. Crazy Legs Malzahn spouted off about. He was suspended right after grades were released, but there has definitely been some issues with him. He wasn’t the starting RB for game 1 this year, that was obviously for a reason.

Talk of him transferring is really stupid. Why would he leave a place where he has posted back to back 1,000 yd seasons, won a NC, and was 1st team SEC this year with a young inexperienced O-Line and crappy QBs? Sit out a year? Go to a sub-division team?

He is a stud RB, but that is the deepest position on the team. We have a stable (OMac, Tre Mason, Corey Grant, Mike Blakely) and 5 Star TJ Yeldon coming in next year along with Jovon Robinson the #1 player in Tenn (He may not qualify though).

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 07:47 Wed 12/14/2011

Both coordinators leaving for supposedly lesser jobs?

At first, I thought Roof was being told to go. Now, I’m wondering if something else is going on up there.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 07:55 Wed 12/14/2011

NCAA Attendance Stats are out for 2011

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/attendance/FBS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

Can UCF really only fill 75% of their stadium? It’s pretty small.. shouldn’t be hard.

Why would anyone willingly go? I mean, it is well known UCF has given away tickets and still couldn’t fill that shit hole of a stadium.

A fan of Starkville saying our stadium is a shithole? Starkville, in its entirety, is a shithole.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 07:57 Wed 12/14/2011

Can UCF really only fill 75% of their stadium? It’s pretty small.. shouldn’t be hard.

Our attendance was terrible this year. One game was played in a monsoon. One was played after an entire day of rain, and still raining during the game. One was played the day after Thanksgiving, after we had completely crapped ourselves all year.

At least we don’t completely fudge our numbers like USF.

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 08:06 Wed 12/14/2011

Originally posted by GodOfThunder

Both coordinators leaving for supposedly lesser jobs?

At first, I thought Roof was being told to go. Now, I’m wondering if something else is going on up there.

Roof didn’t have a future at AU, he did a crappy job. AU is pressing Mark Stoops at FSU, would be a HR hire to steal him from Noles.

Malzahn is a head scratcher. Wasn’t getting the HC jobs and felt need to prove himself in that role? He’s from Arkansas and recruits well there. Dunno, 3 million $ offers last year to 600k-800k at Arky St. The guy really hasn’t been coaching college ball very long.

Interesting that Bama, UF, and AU now all need O Coordinators. I can’t even speculate who candidates would be to replace Malzahn.

jzzbassman
beers 1638 º places 30 º 09:21 Wed 12/14/2011

I’m hearing Greg Davis for Auburn. I think that would be a smart hire...... although he got run out of Texas I think recent years have shown that it wasn’t his problem.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 09:27 Wed 12/14/2011

Originally posted by GodOfThunder

Why would anyone willingly go? I mean, it is well known UCF has given away tickets and still couldn’t fill that shit hole of a stadium.

A fan of Starkville saying our stadium is a shithole? Starkville, in its entirety, is a shithole.

Odd, our games sell out. Yours don’t. Ever been to Starkvegas? Thought so. Keep trying J, we are laughing at you, not with you.