2014 College Football Thread

Reads 63605 • Replies 979 • Started Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:01:20 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 22:53 Thu 10/2/2014

Welp, can’t wait for Oklahoma and three SEC teams in that final four now...

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 22:59 Thu 10/2/2014

Mizzou looking solid so far... except that head-scratching loss to Indiana.

Anyway, the Tigers are still quite competitive in the SEC East.

But Indiana?

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 23:22 Thu 10/2/2014

Southern Cal continues to play 3-star football with 5-star talent. Doesn’t matter who the coach is... unless his name is Pete Carroll. They’re getting it done defensively, but there’s no excuse for that anemic offensive performance against Stanford. ’nuff said there.

Is there even a USCwest fan on this thread anymore?

Is it just Stanford now?

If so, their best days are behind them, because their admissions department doesn’t make exceptions for dumb jocks and you gotta that if you want sustained success at the Division 1-A level.

Harbaugh worked miracles there, but that’s what he does everywhere he goes. It’s what he did when he was QB for Michigan and QB for the Colts. It’s what he did as head coach of The Cardinal and then the lowly 49rs.

However, I like Stanford’s ridiculous Christmas Tree-like mascot and John Elway is my favorite all-time QB, so I will root for them against just about every other team.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 05:20 Fri 10/3/2014

Originally posted by ChinoSkillzian
While I agree that we should all be pointing and laughing at the Maize & Blue, you’re kidding about the Oregon game right? AZ isn’t gonna sniff Oregon’s shit this year, I can guarantee you that.

The only thing Rich Rod is going to be dismantling is the QB depth chart.

WEST COAST!!!! Stick to surfing, rollerblades, and smoking pot.

Oregon chokes, again. They are the Georgia of the west... and they didn’t even get shellacked by an SEC team this time!

Michigan’s mis-management just gets more fun to watch, after seeing Rich-rod have more success in AZ.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 05:30 Fri 10/3/2014

How ’bout that...
After the most boring football game ever, UCF manages to win on a would-be-touchdown-fumble-through-the-endzone-touchback! Snatching victory from the hands of defeat!

But, not we know what UCF’s biggest loss was from last season. Not Blake Bortles or Storm Johnson, but 3 starting O-lineman. Our O-Line is horrible. Atrocious, even. We have a great running back, but he gets hit as soon as the ball touches his hands. They suck, bad.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 08:28 Fri 10/3/2014

Originally posted by hopscotch
Southern Cal continues to play 3-star football with 5-star talent. Doesn’t matter who the coach is... unless his name is Pete Carroll. They’re getting it done defensively, but there’s no excuse for that anemic offensive performance against Stanford. ’nuff said there.

Is there even a USCwest fan on this thread anymore?

Is it just Stanford now?

If so, their best days are behind them, because their admissions department doesn’t make exceptions for dumb jocks and you gotta that if you want sustained success at the Division 1-A level.

Harbaugh worked miracles there, but that’s what he does everywhere he goes. It’s what he did when he was QB for Michigan and QB for the Colts. It’s what he did as head coach of The Cardinal and then the lowly 49rs.

However, I like Stanford’s ridiculous Christmas Tree-like mascot and John Elway is my favorite all-time QB, so I will root for them against just about every other team.

I don’t think we’ve got any USC fans on here...just Stanford (me) and UCLA (ChinoSkillzian).

Stanford plays like Michigan State or Wisconsin, so they don’t need the same number and kinds of athletes like Oregon or Baylor. They can recruit the 350 lb beasts and solid players all around. And having one or two athletes (ie. Montgomery) is good enough.

I think they probably are in the upper part of the middle of the pack in the conference talent-wise, but they play well together and are certainly in the top 3 or 4 in the conference in that regard.

Stanford’s biggest weaknesses right now are Hogan (super inconsistent and unreliable) and Shaw’s hyper conservative play calling. Too many times when the game gets tight or the offense is in an important situation, he just goes into a shell and calls Power Left three times and it’s 4th and 4. It’s why they lost to Utah and (partly) Michigan State last year, and it’s a big reason why they lost to USC this year.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 08:34 Fri 10/3/2014

But, I do agree that once all the Harbaugh Disciples leave the coaching staff, it’s back to the 3-9 to 6-6 seasons. That is, unless the program makes a commitment to continuing to hiring quality coaches that have a similar mentality. Let’s get Bill Parcells in there.

And yes, the Tree is awesome. Fuck those who think otherwise.

wutangfinancial
beers 212 º places 33 º 13:37 Fri 10/3/2014

Yes, I can admit when I’m wrong..Oregon off a bye, AT HOME on a Thursday and they completely lay an egg...every year they do this shit, just unreal.
At least I had the 1H and full game under.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 16:37 Fri 10/3/2014

Man, Syracuse needs to learn how to tackle somebody.

SHIG
admin
beers 13064 º places 502 º 17:48 Fri 10/3/2014

Originally posted by brokensail
Man, Syracuse needs to learn how to tackle somebody.

If it isn’t Cam Lynch near the ball, you can expect extra yards. We need this win to stay on bowl eligible track. We are still 2 to 3 solid recruiting years away. I’m at a work event and missing the game, but saw the replay of getting screwed out of points at half. If this was SEC they would have waited until everyone was in position before setting the ball. Total bullshit!