2014 College Football Thread

Reads 63658 • Replies 979 • Started Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:01:20 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 20:44 Sun 12/7/2014

Miami drew South Carolina. Should be interesting.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 03:44 Mon 12/8/2014

Originally posted by hopscotch

Drew? They were dodging UCF. UF did the dodge, too. UF vs ECU in Birmingham and UCF vs NCST in Tampa... hmmm... I see two, much more compelling, games coming out of that mix.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 03:46 Mon 12/8/2014

Originally posted by TheAlum
Bit coin Bowl.. nailed it, Cheese

That is because Cheese actually knows what he is talking about, sometimes, and knew our conference’s shitty bowl tie-ins. I’ve known it would be Bitcoin since we choked on UConn.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 05:01 Mon 12/8/2014

Originally posted by GodOfThunder

That is because Cheese actually knows what he is talking about, sometimes, and knew our conference’s shitty bowl tie-ins. I’ve known it would be Bitcoin since we choked on UConn.

Shitty conference = shitty bowl tie ins.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 05:05 Mon 12/8/2014

Best thing UCF could ask for, Big 12 gets shut out. Time to add Cincy and UCF and get that Championship Game.

Cincy, BYU.. Also heard Memphis in talks.

No soup for UCF. Also feel like UCF/USF end up attached.. where one goes, the other goes

I can’t imagine UCF not being #1.
2nd largest school in the country. Large TV market. Best TV ratings among non-P5 schools, and much better than many P5 schools. 9+ wins in 4 of the last 5 years. BCS win against Big12 champ. Great facilities. A ton of growth potential.

Memphis has BBall. Cincy does too, and another good market. BYU is interesting, because nobody knows if they would do it or not. In the past, the conference stuff has been a mess for them.

UF and FSU already have the TV market wrapped up in Central Florida,shit, UCF can’t even fill every seat for home games. UCF brings nothing to the table that would convince one of the power 5 conferences to bring them on board.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 06:11 Mon 12/8/2014

I honestly see UCF as one of the latest options for expansion. And they’d be going with USF as well.

Again.. If Big 12 has to take 2 teams (Because they won’t take more than they have to.. especially with watered down options), I could see them adding Cincy.. but then where do they go?

Memphis has done well this year.. but historically has a very weak football program. It would give them a new TV market though..

Is BYU’s abhorrent policy towards sports and bigotry worth it? Could they be added JUST in Football??

What about a service academy? Boise State?

JJ.. Realistically, I know you’ve got your homer shades on.. but really, I don’t see this "#1 Option is UCF" you do. Maybe for the TV market but again.. entering that market with such an inferior option compared to the true Florida teams doesn’t seem like a statement I’d want to make if I was the Big 12.

I really think you might see the Big 12 try and raid the ACC for a team if they can and also add Cincy.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 06:12 Mon 12/8/2014

"#1 Option For Expansion" and you are trying to tell me I don’t know anything?

Little brother of the thread as usual, JJ..

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 06:33 Mon 12/8/2014

Originally posted by hopscotch

Drew? They were dodging UCF. UF did the dodge, too. UF vs ECU in Birmingham and UCF vs NCST in Tampa... hmmm... I see two, much more compelling, games coming out of that mix.

I realize there are conference tie-ins with many if not all of the bowl games nowadays, but I’m pretty certain individual schools don’t choose which bowl games they attend. Teams are still invited by each bowls’ committee, even if sometimes the committee’s hands are somewhat or entirely tied. There’s usually some wiggle room, but that’s for the bowls, not the schools. I don’t think Florida or Miami have much of a say as to which bowl they attend. I could be wrong.

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 06:55 Mon 12/8/2014

Mizzou and Minnesota will be at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando on New Year’s Day. Wish I could come back for a visit!

Well shit you never know but probably not this year.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 07:03 Mon 12/8/2014

Jj, I happened to read this article right after posting and it’s just one example of how things still work with the bowl system. Still sort of a good ol’ boy network:
(condensed)
blah blah blah
... For the Liberty Bowl, including West Virginia in its game has been part of the plan since agreeing to partner with the Big 12 Conference.
"One of the reasons we created this new partnership with the Big 12 is because of the affiliation with West Virginia," said Steve Ehrhart, Executive Director of the Liberty Bowl.
Blah Blah Blah
Memphis is within a ten-hour driving distance of Morgantown and even less than (that from) the southern part of West Virginia.
blah blah blah
The city of Memphis is also home to an important West Virginia advocate. Chris Wallace, the General Manager of the NBA’s Memphis Grizzlies is a native of West Virginia and has pushed Ehrhart and Liberty Bowl committee to host the Mountaineers.
"The Mountaineers have a great booster in Memphis in Chris Wallace," Erhart added. "He’s been hounding the table for West Virginia."
blah blah blah

So there we go. A tie-in within a tie-in. That’s how it often works.