2014 College Football Thread

Reads 63589 • Replies 979 • Started Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:01:20 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 04:58 Mon 12/1/2014

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
Originally posted by CheesedMan
Originally posted by GodOfThunder
A great season? Just think, for the next 25 years, MSU fans can talk about the time they ALMOST won something of relevance!

Penn State and UCONN I know, being ranked #1 for 5 weeks, being relevant most of the year. Where has UCF been this year? Oh yeah, getting beat by shitty teams, again.

You’ll be just like USF fans, telling us how they were once ranked #2...and they still have an empty trophy case.

Sort of like you telling us about the Fiesta Bowl, Copernicus?

PedoState and UCONN!!!

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 05:03 Mon 12/1/2014

Originally posted by brokensail
Yes, I’m referring to the University of Oregon. The uniforms are definitely a big part of their appeal. While Eugene is not an inherently exciting place, Oregon’s style of play and the overall nature of the conference are exciting to kids. Not to mention Oregon has been part of the national championship discussion on a routine basis over the last several years, including playing for one.

Right, but the state of Oregon doesn’t produce Div 1 players really.

They are also historically one of the worst programs in the Power 5.

The money and facilities and exciting play allowed them to change that though.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens should that ever change.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 05:04 Mon 12/1/2014

Originally posted by JoeinDahlem
Firing Pelini is dumb but all Nebraska fans believe that seasons like ’94-’97 are their birthright, oblivious to the further Solichian damage that firing a 9-3 coach does to their program.

Already 4 decommits or so. Plus tons of players on social media complaining.

Still.. I’m amazed their DLine players are praising Rick Kazcenski. One of the dumbest and worst coaches ever. Iowa fired him.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 11:22 Mon 12/1/2014

Originally posted by TheAlum
Yes, I’m referring to the University of Oregon. The uniforms are definitely a big part of their appeal. While Eugene is not an inherently exciting place, Oregon’s style of play and the overall nature of the conference are exciting to kids. Not to mention Oregon has been part of the national championship discussion on a routine basis over the last several years, including playing for one.

Right, but the state of Oregon doesn’t produce Div 1 players really.

They are also historically one of the worst programs in the Power 5.

The money and facilities and exciting play allowed them to change that though.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens should that ever change.

All well and good, but like the criticisms of the Nebraska program living in 1994, a 16 year old kid in 2014 probably doesn’t even remember Oregon’s last losing season (2004). They just care about wearing a chrome helmet, scoring 50 points a game, and things like playing a nationally televised night game at USC in a couple years.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 08:00 Tue 12/2/2014

Originally posted by jzzbassman
http://thebiglead.com/2014/11/29/alabama-fan-too-absorbed-by-delicious-nachos-to-react-to-blake-sims-interception/

This Bama fan is my new hero.

NachoDude don’t care.

Awesome.
Also, notice the vertical wave of reaction going on there? The nacho guy goes into motion, then the woman behind him, then the old dude behind her. Gotta take that shit all the way up the isle. New trend? I like it.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 08:09 Tue 12/2/2014

Agreed. I thought you were talking about it as a geographical location vs Nebraska. Both are pretty lame if your seventeen or eighteen.

I would personally go with Oregon, because I hate cold weather and I’ve lived in Kansas. The midwest is boring and whole different levels of COLD in the winter, "WINDY" in the spring and HOT in the summer.

Plus, I love the ocean. In Kansas and Nebraska you’re about as landlocked as a person can possibly get in this country.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 08:16 Tue 12/2/2014

Originally posted by JoeinDahlem
Firing Pelini is dumb but all Nebraska fans believe that seasons like ’94-’97 are their birthright, oblivious to the further Solichian damage that firing a 9-3 coach does to their program.

Already 4 decommits or so. Plus tons of players on social media complaining.

Still.. I’m amazed their DLine players are praising Rick Kazcenski. One of the dumbest and worst coaches ever. Iowa fired him.

... and Iowa doesn’t fire anybody. Kirk Ferentz = luckiest man alive.
Well, Rex Ryan is the luckiest man alive, but he’s not a college coach... but probably should be.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 09:37 Tue 12/2/2014

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 10:16 Tue 12/2/2014

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/24839675/uab-football-isnt-alone-in-losing-money-for-athletic-departments

Intriguing read..

It is also a bit of bullshit.

I know for UCF and USF, this is garbage, as it doesn’t account for student fees. Both UCF and USF get most of their athletics money from student fees added on to tuition.

I think UCF is actually doing fairly well when student fees are accounted for. I believe our yearly in-the-red amount is under a million.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 11:40 Tue 12/2/2014

Student fees sound like subsidized athletics to me.. seems accurate as is.