2014 College Football Thread

Reads 63662 • Replies 979 • Started Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:01:20 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 09:56 Mon 12/8/2014

Originally posted by JoeinDahlem
Mizzou and Minnesota will be at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando on New Year’s Day. Wish I could come back for a visit!

Well shit you never know but probably not this year.

That’s pretty awesome. I would love it if some of my friends and family from Missouri made the trip. I don’t know if they’re enthusiastic enough to travel for football. If you do make it down. Hit somebody up. GoT and Cheez can show us around town. Visit a couple good beer spots. I know there are a few new breweries/brewpubs up there I haven’t visited yet.

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 10:27 Mon 12/8/2014

Originally posted by TheAlum
I honestly see UCF as one of the latest options for expansion. And they’d be going with USF as well.

Again.. If Big 12 has to take 2 teams (Because they won’t take more than they have to.. especially with watered down options), I could see them adding Cincy.. but then where do they go?

Memphis has done well this year.. but historically has a very weak football program. It would give them a new TV market though..

Is BYU’s abhorrent policy towards sports and bigotry worth it? Could they be added JUST in Football??

What about a service academy? Boise State?

JJ.. Realistically, I know you’ve got your homer shades on.. but really, I don’t see this "#1 Option is UCF" you do. Maybe for the TV market but again.. entering that market with such an inferior option compared to the true Florida teams doesn’t seem like a statement I’d want to make if I was the Big 12.

I really think you might see the Big 12 try and raid the ACC for a team if they can and also add Cincy.

Regardless of what Cheese thinks, we do just fine in the Orlando market. We have the best TV viewership of any non-P5 school. The best.
http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/12/17/5216550/college-football-tv-ratings-2013-regular-season-final-sec

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 04:52 Tue 12/9/2014

Originally posted by GodOfThunder
I honestly see UCF as one of the latest options for expansion. And they’d be going with USF as well.

Again.. If Big 12 has to take 2 teams (Because they won’t take more than they have to.. especially with watered down options), I could see them adding Cincy.. but then where do they go?

Memphis has done well this year.. but historically has a very weak football program. It would give them a new TV market though..

Is BYU’s abhorrent policy towards sports and bigotry worth it? Could they be added JUST in Football??

What about a service academy? Boise State?

JJ.. Realistically, I know you’ve got your homer shades on.. but really, I don’t see this "#1 Option is UCF" you do. Maybe for the TV market but again.. entering that market with such an inferior option compared to the true Florida teams doesn’t seem like a statement I’d want to make if I was the Big 12.

I really think you might see the Big 12 try and raid the ACC for a team if they can and also add Cincy.

Regardless of what Cheese thinks, we do just fine in the Orlando market. We have the best TV viewership of any non-P5 school. The best.
http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/12/17/5216550/college-football-tv-ratings-2013-regular-season-final-sec

UF and FSU sit at 12 and 14 respectively, which means they have the Central Florida market tied up completely. Hell, even Vanderbilt drew better ratings than y’all.

In fact, the only decent ratings UCF seems to have received were when they played real teams, even shitty real teams. Which means it wasn’t UCF fans driving the ratings, at all.

Link By the way, this is the data source for the article you linked.

Do you really think the Big 12 wants a school that needs Groupon to sell tickets? Link 2

GodOfThunder
beers 1364 º places 65 º 10:20 Tue 12/9/2014

...and what schools of the Big 12 carry a market besides Texas and Oklahoma? We’d be just fine, and we’d be a lot better if our TV games weren’t against Temple, UConn, and SMU. SMU, who returned pretty much all of their ticket allotment, which were sold on Groupon.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 10:25 Tue 12/9/2014

...and what schools of the Big 12 carry a market besides Texas and Oklahoma? We’d be just fine, and we’d be a lot better if our TV games weren’t against Temple, UConn, and SMU. SMU, who returned pretty much all of their ticket allotment, which were sold on Groupon.

There aren’t any really good options for the B12. They’d be better served by trying to disband and get in the other 4 conferences.

If the goal is adding 2 teams to get a CCG (because the other 4 conferences would never agree to a waiver to allow it otherwise), then I do see better options than UCF (and again, USF.. as I feel they are attached at the hip.. where one goes, the other goes).

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 10:39 Tue 12/9/2014

Doesn’t matter, they’re already in the conference. You’re delusional if you think UCF would be a TV draw in Central Florida.

As far as the Groupon, most schools are able to easily seel the returned allotment to their fown fans, UCF can’t even sell out with their own fan base.

SHIG
admin
beers 13064 º places 502 º 15:29 Tue 12/9/2014

Did I miss this being discussed here: http://miami.scout.com/story/1484528-is-um-most-underachieving-team-in-america#.VIdc37Ps5nk.facebook

I know Gumby is in hiding after that Pitt game, but lots of good points...Golden Age!

Guyute_Pig
beers 103 º places 48 º 15:50 Tue 12/9/2014

Groupon?

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 16:21 Tue 12/9/2014

He’s still in hiding.

SHIG
admin
beers 13064 º places 502 º 16:25 Tue 12/9/2014

He’s still in hiding.

mgumby10
Jupiter, Florida

Can we get a status check? I’m worried after this 6-6, potentially 6-7 season Miami has going for him.