2014 College Football Thread

Reads 63639 • Replies 979 • Started Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:01:20 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 07:09 Wed 11/19/2014

Originally posted by JoeinDahlem
Originally posted by CheesedMan
Originally posted by JoeinDahlem
Random predictions:

SEC will get one team, not two. That team will be the conference champion -- even if that champion has two losses.

Florida will beat Florida State, and things will get Weird.

Then, how about:
1. Oregon
2. Alabama
3. Baylor
4. Ohio State

Obviously I’m rooting for Missouri to win out but I am trying to be realistic about this.

Not so sure the SEC is only going to get one team in there...

Anything could happen but you have to look at the remaining games. I think MSU will lose at Ole Miss -- which could very well lose at Arkansas the week before.

I think the biggest pressure for two teams would come if the East champ wins in Atlanta -- not likely but possible.

But yeah, Alabama and MSU could both win out. All things being equal, wouldn’t the committee opt for a champion of another major conference over a second SEC team? I think they would -- but who knows?

In theory this committee is deliberative, not data-driven.

They will emphasize obvious factors like win-loss records, strength of schedule, conference championships won, head-to-head results and results against common opponents. The playoff group has retained SportSource Analytics to provide the data platform for the committee’s use. The platform will allow the committee members to compare and contrast every team on every level possible.

It should be noted that the committee will not use a single data point such as the Ratings Percentage Index (RPI) that is used for NCAA championships.

It pains me to say, but I do hope OM wins Saturday, that will make our win in the Egg Bowl even better, adding a needed boost to the resume.

The conference champions situation is interesting, what about the Big 12? No championship game, does that hurt TCU and Baylor? It’s going to be interesting to watch none the less.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 07:20 Wed 11/19/2014

I don’t think that hurts TCU and Baylor if they win out.

They’d both be champions. They’d have that designation. Miss State would not.

OSU winning out only helps them (though obviously losing the B1G Championship game would obviously hurt them).

It looks like Miss St is bound to get jumped barring mayhem, sorry to say Cheese. Rooting for Ole Miss is certainly good. But rooting for Auburn seems smarter.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 07:41 Wed 11/19/2014

Baylor would be Big 12 Champs if they win out as they beat TCU. But, TCU is still ranked higher even though they lost to Baylor and the two teams have the same record. Not sure if that changes at the end of the season?

Baylor also seems the more likely team to lose a game as they have K-State to finish out the season.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 07:49 Wed 11/19/2014

Originally posted by brokensail
Baylor would be Big 12 Champs if they win out as they beat TCU. But, TCU is still ranked higher even though they lost to Baylor and the two teams have the same record. Not sure if that changes at the end of the season?

Baylor also seems the more likely team to lose a game as they have K-State to finish out the season.

Big 12 actually confirms they’d both be champions (Baylor and TCU) fwiw.

CheesedMan
beers 555 º places 12 º 08:19 Wed 11/19/2014

Originally posted by TheAlum
I don’t think that hurts TCU and Baylor if they win out.

They’d both be champions. They’d have that designation. Miss State would not.

OSU winning out only helps them (though obviously losing the B1G Championship game would obviously hurt them).

It looks like Miss St is bound to get jumped barring mayhem, sorry to say Cheese. Rooting for Ole Miss is certainly good. But rooting for Auburn seems smarter.

Routing for Auburn goes without saying, as does pulling for the improbable upset in the UF - FSU game. Very possible we do get bumped, Alum, but here’s hoping it doesn’t happen. Obviously, I’d be much happier with some loses by teams ahead of us.

Regardless, looking as if we’re going to be a 10 win team heading into the Egg Bowl is pretty damn awesome.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 08:25 Wed 11/19/2014

More reason to disregard the Big 12.

TheAlum
beers 7164 º places 10 º 08:27 Wed 11/19/2014

More reason to disregard the Big 12.

Wat? You don’t find Kliff Kingsbury dreamy, bro?

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 08:31 Wed 11/19/2014

I am a Kingsbury fan, actually. I’ve liked Tech since I started (really) watching football and Kingsbury was their QB then...I liked the uniforms and the fact that they threw it almost every play. Guess that’s what 12 year olds like seeing?

But, bro has a team that needs a lot of work.

And yeah, I’d do him.

hopscotch
beers 11919 º places 307 º 12:41 Fri 11/21/2014

Mike Leach would be cool at Florida, especially since he has a place in Key West and spent all his unemployed time there with his family. Leach was probably the HC at TTech when brokensail became a fan. Holgorsen was probably the OC. Leach hasn’t been crazy successful at WSU and he’s quirky, so probably not for Florida. Conservative administration.

My fearless prediction = Rich Rodriguez to Gainesville. Imagine Rich Rod with a roster full of Florida speed. Yikes.

One way or another, UF fans are looking for an exciting offense again. UF’s defense will always be stacked.

Homer321
beers 5369 º places 54 º 15:10 Fri 11/21/2014

Yeah, cuz Rich Rod broke Michigan’s bowl streak, and Muschamp screwed Florida’s consecutive winning season streak.

And when a coach has such an impact that players are willing to transfer from Michigan to Ohio State, well, you know he has to be a great coach then.

And let’s not forget the rules violations that began when Rich Rod got there.

If Foley and the new President are willing to hire Rodriguez, they should all be fired.

C’mon, at least Muschamp was able to bean FSU one year. RR never beat Ohio State.